Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FOUND turbo knowledge! (is this the right turbo?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does the TO4S need more than that?

hosrom I meant that does the oil drain out of the turbo? or is it forced out of it?
if it drains then the turbo needs to be higher than the oil in the pan doesnt it?

(the turbo will hopefully be going at the base of the headers right before the cat.)
Old 05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont forget about the wastegate and its exhaust.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ok...how about this? a T3/T4 with internal wastegate?
what boost can those run?

good enough for 8-15 psi? spool time? size?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search on here, a million people say they are going to do this but it never seems to get done. You have to wonder why.

I wish you luck though, it is a cool project if you dont mind putting up with a lot of fabrication and unexpected issues.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

it couldn't possibly be worth the trouble if it's going to cost you less than $1k (unless most of the major stuff is donated). how are you going to handle engine management? if you can do this that cheap and make some descent power reliably, i'll buy 10 kits...not joking.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

sweet.

but the T3.. good?

(searching)
management.
more questions.

ok...will i need bigger injectors for 8 psi? 8 psi should be safe on 9.5:1 right? just run 93 octane.
also. the fuel maps will need to be changed right? couldn't i just have a chip made? danno?

the knock sensors on the 951...neccesary on 8 psi?
and for 8 psi i dont even NEED an intercooler do I? (would be WAY better..but would need to remove ac.)

thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
why does the TO4S need more than that?

hosrom I meant that does the oil drain out of the turbo? or is it forced out of it?
if it drains then the turbo needs to be higher than the oil in the pan doesnt it?

(the turbo will hopefully be going at the base of the headers right before the cat.)
Contact rennlisters J Chen and Edman951 on this, they have the GT turbo's installed and have more info on this.

About the drain, you either need to get the driver's side engine carrier from the 951 (which already has the drain holes) or you need to customise the oil drain (tapping the pan). But make things simple by getting a 951 engine carrier, since that is also used as a turbo mount (which also has the two mounting holes to hold the turbo in place).

ok...how about this? a T3/T4 with internal wastegate?
what boost can those run?

good enough for 8-15 psi? spool time? size?
First of all, the T4 would need a custom exhaust from the cross-over-pipe and downpipe since the T4 turbine doesn't use bolts, it uses V-band clamps instead (do a search). Combine this witha T3, that wouldn't fit on the 951 engine carrier (again, need to go custom).

15psi boost would be too much in my opinion for stock 10.9:1 CR from the NA engines. More like a MAX of 8psi or so.

If you are going custom, then you should adress the pistons, rods, cylinder head, then you can turb up the boost to 15psi. But you would need a fuel controller and a wideband, and let's not forget chips for appropiate timing.

It would be easier (and probably cheaper) to get a used x-over pipe from a 951, and a downpipe and fabricate the exhaust from there to handle a wastegate.

It would be cheaper and easier to sell the NA, add some more money on it and get a very clean 951. That way, you swap turbo's (T04E, T04B or even go for a GT series) and have a much less hassle into adressing the engine. (my view).
Old 05-18-2005, 02:49 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Ashton,

I think you need to talk to Andy Kihm about this. He is the only person that I know who has actually completed this massive undertaking. (I know there must be others out there who have done it, but I am not aware of them.)
Best of luck!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

hosrom.
Im not putting the turbo in the 951 location.
for now im just wondering about 8 psi.
I found a very nice T25 on ebay with internal wastegate that looks PERFECT for this project.

8 psi shouldnt be bad for 10:1 if i run an intercooler and 93.
I want to put the turbo underneath the headers somewhere. on the exhaust side of the engine.

so basically the connections make no difference since its going to be custom anyway.
the turbo prolly wont even have to be mounted to something because its so close to the exhaust manifold and it will be bolted to that. I would rather have it torque with the engine. (need to check clearance on that one)

what im asking about the drain is. Can the oil drain from the turbo UP into the oil pan?
thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Without a cooler I would run no more than 6psi from what I have read.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

heh, i have looked into this, 6-8psi is the max i would run on a 10-11:1 engine.

Ashton, if your going completly custom, you can weld a T3 (exhaust side) flange to the bottom of the exhaust header. Its going to be a PITA, but with enought time and money it'll work.

A T25 is a very small turbo, but will work great for this appication. (I actually have one on my other car, damn thing makes boost off idle that could be due to the clogged cat )
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedPorscheSpeed
Ashton,

I think you need to talk to Andy Kihm about this. He is the only person that I know who has actually completed this massive undertaking. (I know there must be others out there who have done it, but I am not aware of them.)
Best of luck!
Andy swapped a complete 951 drivetrain into his car, he didn't bolt a turbo onto a N/A.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watch your back 951's
My concern wouldn't be with you behind me, it would be if you ever got in front of me. When you max out your injectors, run lean, detonate, and punch a hole through the side of your block, there's going to be a lot of oil coming out. It would totally mess up the front of my car, and make avoiding your new paperweight difficult.

Slapping a turbo on a car isn't rocket science, but the fact that you don't seem to understand the basic concepts about sizing a turbo is a bit frightening.
-Jon
Old 05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
ttwirz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 8 psi with an intercooler and maf. I'm super charged not turbo but same effect. You will need bigger injectors along with higher fuel pressure. The biggest issue is not running lean. It's not as cut and dry as you would think to boost the NA motor. That said good luck and welcome to the dark side O and just a note: "watch out 951's" you will have to work or spend hard on that one.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
My concern wouldn't be with you behind me, it would be if you ever got in front of me. When you max out your injectors, run lean, detonate, and punch a hole through the side of your block, there's going to be a lot of oil coming out. It would totally mess up the front of my car, and make avoiding your new paperweight difficult.

Slapping a turbo on a car isn't rocket science, but the fact that you don't seem to understand the basic concepts about sizing a turbo is a bit frightening.
-Jon

HAHA
awesome post.
this is exactly the reason im asking these questions. the last thing in the world i want to do is blow up my car. LOL!

so i DO need bigger injectors. 55lb should be plenty. as for more fuel pressure..how do you get more pressure to the rail? should be easy. just an adjustable regulator?

well..the watch out 951 comment is for when im knowledgable enough and have the dough to redo the engine and pump out 20+psi and upwards of 500 rwhp.
drool. ill dream for a while on that one though.

thanks for all the help guys.
heres the turbo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Quick Reply: FOUND turbo knowledge! (is this the right turbo?)