Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hose Clamp Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:32 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hose Clamp Removal Question

I'm not quite 1/2 way through my turbo swap and have a couple of hose clamps that I'm not sure how to remove. They connect the vacuum lines to the turbo inlet duct (rubber j boot between AFM and Turbo). They are not the usual screwdriver style or the plier pinch style clamps. These ones look like a steel band that looks like it has been "pinched" onto the line and has a raised bump that you can insert a screwdriver into. There is also a small perforated band on the one side which interlocks with some tabs underneath it. I thought at first I could pry up on the band to dislocated the tabs but that didn't work. So then I tried squeezing the clamp at the raised bump with a pair of pliers but that didn't work either. I'm sure it's something simple but thought I would ask here rather than waste time trying all the possibilities. Anyone know?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:02 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm afraid that type you have to cut off. A big pair of bolt or wire cutters will do it. Alternatively, try sticking a screwdriver inside the crimped portion and twist. It may make it then big enough to slip the hose off. You'll still need to replace it when you're done though, and be careful not to split the rubber while you're there, or you'll end up replacing that too.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
painkiller
Racer

Cutoff wheel and a dremel worked good for me.

John
Old 05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Inserting a screwdriver and twisting worked for me... I was able to get the whole thing off. It's a one time use so make sure you buy plenty of more clamps -- try to get the ones you can use a socket on too. When I finished replacing my vacuum lines I was down one clamp and it was 12 midnight... how annoying!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Big E
Racer

Screwdriver worked for me. Just buy a gross of the nice solid-band ones from McMaster. And when I say gross, I mean really way more than you think you'll need. I did all my vacuum and coolant lines last year and put all new hose clamps on and I ordered clamps from McMaster 3 (!!!) times before I finally finished. Good thing their shipping only takes about a day.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Can you disconnect the other ends and just pull out the j-boot with them still attached to it? Seems to me, that's what I did if memory serves.

Quick Reply: Hose Clamp Removal Question