Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

eastendr, Why don't you save yourself all sort of issues. Get a MAF with well sorted MAF chips and a PB and you will be more than happy...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're on the comparison, what are the downsides to using a MAF instead of MAP? I heard the wire can get coated in oil and give false readings over time. What other maintenance issues are there and is there a performance gain (reponse rather than airflow) in going for a MAP (if you can make it work!!)

Ben
Old 05-10-2005, 12:04 PM
eastendr
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast951
eastendr, Why don't you save yourself all sort of issues. Get a MAF with well sorted MAF chips and a PB and you will be more than happy...
John, I want to have flexibility to map ignition as well as fuelling. The car will be evolving over the next year and a complete standalone will be much easier for me to work with than the DME.

I know you've done excellent work with the DME, but on my car there's too many other things mounted in front of it to keep taking it out to remap, and I don't really want to use a ribbon cable out with bank switching to allow easier access to the eprom socket.

I've been down a similar route with the Cosworth, running remote emulators etc, but switched to the pectel system to allow much easier control (and the ability to run 2 injectors per cylinder).

Also, the Wolf allows a much finer level of control than the DME. I might want to use the mapping for the boost control to control water injection in the future - my boost control is entirely separate in the Blitz SBC-iD

Rick.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:10 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Who said you can't do timing with the PB? You can do timing based on LOAD/RPM/BOOST and keep the knock control fully functional! You install the chip once then use your laptop with the PB.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Rick, I knew I should have hit the dyno day and shown you my MAF! Doh. I just got the interior back together a day late!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 AM
J Chen
Drifting

eastendr,
Why is the AF ratio so inconsistent for the
three dyno charts that you posted ?
Hmm, three different cars & all share the same
problem ?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:08 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
Who said you can't do timing with the PB? You can do timing based on LOAD/RPM/BOOST and keep the knock control fully functional! You install the chip once then use your laptop with the PB.
The SMT6 can do that? (keep the knock control) ??

Can it retard ignition when knock is detected? or is that something the end user would have to do?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by pikey7
Rick, I knew I should have hit the dyno day and shown you my MAF! Doh. I just got the interior back together a day late!
Shame you couldn't make it Mike, we had approx 40 944s turn up (not all going on the rollers) and it was a great day. Your MAF and bigger Turbo would have been a contender for Top car of the day

Next year could be a blinder with a number of big cars finally finished
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
pikey7
Drifting

One of these day's I'll actually get it to a proper dyno. It's amazing how close you can get it with a wideband and datalogger.

When's the next one then? I may be heading back to Europe some time soon.....
Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Rick I really love your car

“would agree that Link could have made the boxes with more reliable connectors, but they are so simple to fix. If you do it right, and take it easy connecting the tuning module, you should never have a problem”

Its not only the connections that makes the link unreliable. Again, I am talking from personal experience and read above.

“Talk to Danno - he can get you a better matching chip for your setup - which means less tuning for you. If you tell him your problem, I bet he would be more than willing to hook you up with new chips for your MAP set up”

Who are you kidding? My chips came from Danno (eventually like six months after they were paid for) and the MAP still required a lot of tuning. Further, add to that calls that don’t get returned, unanswered emails, paid for products that don’t get shipped within a reasonable amount of time and lies to boot. Give it a rest. Do not send people down that road. (Search is your friend)

“eastendr, Why don't you save yourself all sort of issues. Get a MAF with well sorted MAF chips and a PB and you will be more than happy...”

Fast951 – a quick question. I’ve been modifying my car as I go along. My next level of modification is going to a stroker 2.8. If I purchased your system at this point would your system require new chips or could it be dialed in for the stroker. Thanks ed

I am sorry about the ranting; however, when I made my purchase it was made on the recommendation of those on this board and there wasn’t a track record that I could find of this vendor at the time

Last edited by ewainwright; 05-11-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ewainwright
Fast951 – a quick question. I’ve been modifying my car as I go alone. My next level of modification is going to a stroker 2.8. If I purchased your system at this point would your system require new chips or could it be dialed in for the stroker. Thanks ed
The answer is yes. Since I haven't already updated the website, I might as well announce this here. For MAF kits we no longer use a DME chip, we have designed (actually TT) a new board that replaces the DME chip. I am able to store as much as 16 images (an image is equivalent to a chip). You select the image you want via dip switches.. I doubt anyone will need 16 images, but for you, you can get the 2.5L image and the 2.8L image.. The MAF will be setup to handle the power of a 2.8 o r 3.0L. You get to pick the injectors you would like to use, 55, 72 or 83#.. The latest software works in semi-batch when needed (we are running a 944NA with AFM and 83# injectors at 3bar).

One more thing, each image comes with a street and race maps. You select which you want via the coding plug...

The SMT6 will be on your side for fine tuning. And yes you can control timing with the SMT6 without affecting knock control which is left to the KLR. Of course you badly screw up timing and no KLR will be able to correct it
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Anyone need a perfectly functioning liver or kidney? I like the sound of those "chips"
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 AM
ewainwright
Racer

“The answer is yes. Since I haven't already updated the website, I might as well announce this here. For MAF kits we no longer use a DME chip, we have designed (actually TT) a new board that replaces the DME chip. I am able to store as much as 16 images (an image is equivalent to a chip). You select the image you want via dip switches.. I doubt anyone will need 16 images, but for you, you can get the 2.5L image and the 2.8L image.. The MAF will be setup to handle the power of a 2.8 o r 3.0L. You get to pick the injectors you would like to use, 55, 72 or 83#.. The latest software works in semi-batch when needed (we are running a 944NA with AFM and 83# injectors at 3bar).

One more thing, each image comes with a street and race maps. You select which you want via the coding plug...

The SMT6 will be on your side for fine tuning. And yes you can control timing with the SMT6 without affecting knock control which is left to the KLR. Of course you badly screw up timing and no KLR will be able to correct it"

"Anyone need a perfectly functioning liver or kidney? I like the sound of those"

My thoughts exactly. Will a liver cover it? Can I throw in my ex-mother-in-law to sweeten the deal? I hear that your still single
Old 05-12-2005, 02:22 AM
J Chen
Drifting

So, looks like the verdict is to scrap the AFM LINK ?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:34 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO the AFM Link works very well..
I have a flat A/F-curve, normal cold/hot starts etc.

Quick Reply: WTB AFM LINK