Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my Tial wastegate builds boost late

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 AM
jean_noir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my Tial wastegate builds boost late

Ok just finished my "used" .8 spring 38mm tial installation with a reliaboost running between the banjo bolt and the side port. I used fuel line hose (was that a good move) for the connection. I don't have an after market boost gauge yet (next on the list) but the reliaboost is supposedly set at 15 psi with guru chips. With the stock waste gate I was getting a 1.75 reading on my boost gauge with boost onset fairly hard at 3,300 rpm. But now with my current set up I am getting 1.1 on my gauge waaaaay past 3k rpm. around 4.5k rpm my gauge finally reads 1.75 (still) but the boost I can barely feel. Any suggestions as to what I should check. Is it really possible that the tial is bad? And if so would a simple new spring installation do the trick?

86 turbo, 38mm tial, 2.5 no-cat test pipe, k26/6, guru chips, reliaboost
Old 05-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could have an exhaust leak at the wastegate connection, preventing exhaust from spooling the turbo. Check to see if everthing is sealing properly.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:43 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the MBC from Lindsey. You are done. Boost will improve 1000%.

You are using opening pressure only on a REAL wastegate now - the exhaust pressure is bouncing it open. You need something on the top.

Quick Reply: my Tial wastegate builds boost late