Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Steering Wheel Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005 | 06:07 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Default Steering Wheel Install Help

I already read the 944S2.com writeup and read all the threads about installing an aftermarket steering wheel on an airbag car, but I still have some questions about exactly what parts/part# I will need to do this in order to use the horn button.

It seems that if you want to retain a functioning horn, the multi-function switch and matching steering column cover need to be replaced, so I guess those are the two things I need part #'s on. I think the 944S2.com writeup gives 928-652-104-00 for the multi-function switch, but what about the matching cover?

As for the wiring for the controller, I would rather cut the warning light wires and disconnect the passenger side airbag, then disconnecting the controller and losing the DME cutoff safety feature. My question here is that if I cut the warning light wires, does this mean it won't light up for anything? Like low oil pressure and other stuff? If so, then maybe I should just use the resistor to fake the controller out. Where would I get this part?

Thanks,

Last edited by Madant26x; 05-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2005 | 11:04 AM
Madant26x
Racer

Bump
Old 05-06-2005 | 11:30 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Dan, If I remember correctly from doing my 930S wheel, if you follow the procedure for cutting/splicing the signal wire on the harness to the airbag computer the light will go off for airbag, but still works for all others - you don't cut the wire for the entire ! warning light, just the one from the controller. As for the column pieces, I can't remember exactly, but I think there was only 1 pin that needed to be hooked up (for the horn), and I took a piece of old wire and the connector and put the wire into the current MFS connector, then spliced it into the old horn wiring. Other than that, the cover doesn't change or anything, it's just a matter of adding a couple things to the existing setup. Once you see and have in hand the part #'s 944S2 writeup gives, you'll understand much better how it all goes together. The MFS piece you order is very small, and won't require new covers or anything on your column.
Old 05-06-2005 | 11:58 AM
Madant26x
Racer

Thanks for the response Jason, I guess I just need to take it all apart and see what's going on and then I can figure it out for myself.

The reason I was confused about the warning light was that the writeup said if you cut the wire you won't know the status of the entire system, I guess he was talking about the airbag system. I'm going to disconnect the passanger side airbag as well so it doesn't really matter anyway.

So all I need to order is the 928-652-104-00 part?
Old 05-11-2005 | 01:33 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Dan, sorry for the delay getting back to you - if I remember correctly, all I ordered from Porsche were the parts listed on the S2 site, however, I did need to get one piece of wire from an old multi function switch to use to connect the new horn pin to the old horn wire, otherwise I believe everything was pretty easy. Once you get everything apart, it is pretty self explanatory, but I understand your trepidation, I had the same uneasiness about whether I had everything I needed until I got the parts and got the old wheel off, then it became clear.
Old 05-11-2005 | 03:49 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Thanks Jason, I still haven't gotten around to installing the wheel, but I did order the part# 928-652-104-00 already. I agree with you, once I have it all apart, I'll should figure it out pretty easily.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Install Help