Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Headlight Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Headlight Switch

Hey everyone, I am still new here, but as the summer progresses I'll be doing lots of work to my 951. First thing I need to fix is my headlights. Some time ago something snapped inside the brights on/off arm (same as the turn signals) and now my brights are on constantly. I can get back to my dimms if I hold the lever in position, but this can be a pain to do while driving around at night.

Has anyone ever had and fixed this problem before? I haven't taken apart the column yet though I think I know how. It is just the two screws behind the steering wheel right? This is on an 86 and I do know how to remove the wheel.

Anyway, once school ends for the semester I will be working out some boosting problems I am having. Currently, the maximum boost I can get on the gauge is 1.2 bar so I am assuming that the engine sensors need to be replaced or reconnected. Anyone have some insight to this problem?

Other topics that I would like some input: I am an PCA and SCCA Autocrosser and I need to freshen up my suspension, What have you guys found to be a good starting point? To give a reason why, I have found that when I corner hard enough I can actually get my rocker panels to scrape and that doesn't make me feel too good...

Thanks for input and your expertise. I'll be using this post many many times in the next few months as I live in Southern NM and have access to only 1 Porsche shop that I can trust.

Well, Remeber to have fun and those who work the hardest, play the most!

-Mac
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac,

I am impressed you are a member at just seven posts!! You are a model for others, congrats!!

I also have the "brights on" full time. It's sooo much worse with Cibie H4's that I avoid driving at night. This happened just after I watched a little rubber nub fall out of the light switch assy on the column. I pulled the switch trying to figure a way to replace the nub, but it's deep in the switch. I will opt for a replacement, in the mean time a swizzle straw works!! Did I say that outloud???
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Mac, I skipped the suspension stuff.
Check out my 87' sig line, these are the basics. After the suspension work get a four wheel alignment, make sure your wheels/tires are in good order! The 951 is one of THE best handling cars on this planet, but it doesn't mean squat if the points are mushy.
Take out a 13mm bit and drill two holes in the bottom of your pocket book, so it will drain correctly!

Quick Reply: 951 Headlight Switch