Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where to find larger J-pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:07 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find larger J-pipe???

I was just curious is someone could point me in the right direction in locating a larger J-pipe, such as the ones that come with a MAF or MAP kit? I am still going to use the stock VAF, but since the inlet of the turbo is larger I need a larger J-pipe.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:45 AM
MR951
Racer

You're probably going to have to piece something together with silicone reducers and a piece of hard pipe to fit.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Originally Posted by MR951
You're probably going to have to piece something together with silicone reducers and a piece of hard pipe to fit.
That's what I'm TRYING to do, but it sucks. I'm going to have one made out of metal like the kokeln one soon.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:36 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I just finished doing this.

it was quite easy, once I figured it out.
my turbo inlet was 3"

I set the j pipe where it should fit (slipped the end actually inside the turbo inlet)
then I marked where the j-boot meets the inlet of the turbo. (I made a mark by running a pencil around the inlet with the j-boot physically inside the inlet)
I then cut it off, I left a little bit extra on, since the inlet starts a few inches from the turbo blades, and it would help it transition better.
next I went to napa and purchased a 2 3/4" rubber hose, it was fairly thick.
now if you look at the j-boot there is a protruding ring, a flange that goes all the way around the j boot, just before all the ports.
this thicker ring is important and is where you want to have the overlap with the 2 3/4" hose
cut the other end of the 2 3/4" hose up to the inlet flange.
now just put a 3" hose from the turbo inlet to the cut j-boot (now with the 2 3/4" hose used as a fill piece)
and clamp it down, make sure that when you clamp down the j-boot side- you put the clamp right where that thicker ring is at the end of the cut j-boot.

in short:
cut j-boot where it reaches inlet flange (I slipped it a little inside it)
use 2 3/4" hose as a filler between the cut j-boot and the 3" hose
clamp down the j-boot, 2 3/4" hose and 3" hose all with one clamp (at the thick ring that wraps around near the end of the cut j-boot)

easy, cheap, and works perfect.
you can use all the stock ports as you don't cut that much off the j-boot

let me know if you have any questions.

I wish I took pics,
hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"in short:
cut j-boot where it reaches inlet flange (I slipped it a little inside it)
use 2 3/4" hose as a filler between the cut j-boot and the 3" hose
clamp down the j-boot, 2 3/4" hose and 3" hose all with one clamp (at the thick ring that wraps around near the end of the cut j-boot)"

If you slip a short 0.5-0.75" section of 2" steel tubing inside the J-boot, it will allow you to clamp down on the J-boot tightly to make sure all those hose layers stay put.. This is scrap-metal at muffler shops you can pick up for free. This is a better way than stuffing a plastic or silicone hose inside the J-boot, because that will restrict it down to a diameter that's smaller than stock!
Old 04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

"This is a better way than stuffing a plastic or silicone hose inside the J-boot"

I didn't put anything inside the j-boot,
I wrapped the 2 3/4 hose around the exterior of the j-boot.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I didn't put anything inside the j-boot,
I wrapped the 2 3/4 hose around the exterior of the j-boot."

I know... but you're not getting enough clamping pressure with just rubber. You need something solid on the inside to really crank down that hose-clamp on the very outside. The friction slip-fit will be fine for now, but when you're operating the turbo, there's a lot of flow and vacuum at that spot. The heat of the engine compartment will soften the rubber as well and eventually the J-boot will slip and get eatened up by the turbo... ask me how I know...

Quick Reply: Where to find larger J-pipe???