How does octane effect safe boost leve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:17 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha I love it "with certain chips"

like I said its all about the tune. What were your old chips hos?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:21 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
haha I love it "with certain chips"

like I said its all about the tune. What were your old chips hos?
Just don't want to start a vendor bashing thingamajig, no point in it.........

I switched back to stock chips at the mo, since i am installing a few things this weekened that wouldn't work with stock or the upgraded chips.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:22 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

ah got ya. Its cool. no worries. I figured you were going to pm me about it. I wouldnt expect you to post it public.

I am going to get some lunch bbl
Old 04-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a performance benefit to running more boost just not hp. Our stock tiny turbo's really stop making hp at 18psi.....turning it up to 19 or 20 at that point wont yield ANY MORE hp. BUT, you gain considerable tq.
You wanna run that by us again? How have you magically uncoupled hp and torque? Do you mean the peak hp number doesn't continue to climb as you pile in the hot air, er, boost?
Old 04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
You wanna run that by us again? How have you magically uncoupled hp and torque? Do you mean the peak hp number doesn't continue to climb as you pile in the hot air, er, boost?
I'm not sure what porshhhh951 meant but it may be like this.
The stock turbo is more or less limited to a certain cfm flowrate, that CFM number can be said to produce a certain hp number. Thus peak hp will not rise if you turn up boost beyond that flowrate, you just heat the air more. At lower rpm you are well below that maximum flowrate so any increase in boost here will increase torque (and also hp at these rpm levels). In theory (and with high enough octane) you could get a flat hp curve from spool up rpm and up.

Tomas
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

thomas pretty much got the hit of it. I cant account my graph's offhand but, my car at 18psi was around 320tq while at 20 its 341. tq is obviously a function of hp and the more hp down low with proper tuning the more peak tq you will make down the powerband. Hence say your peak hp # on 18psi is the same on 20 but, on 18 your making "x" amount more hp at a certain rpm over your previous your overal peak hp #'s will most likely not change much at all maybe a few hp but, you have the ablity to take advantage of the earlier hp for more tq down the line.

I am by no means some expert or a math wiz. I pretty much can only go by what I account for myself and what I see on my car as well as friends. My car hp is very similar between 18-20 while the tq isint quite as much so.

Also peak #'s while revelant arent the most important. You want biggest area of the curve possible....going around the course the earlier your hp gets there the more tq your going to have to pull you outta the turn.

Oh and I guess I shouldnt of been so rash when saying you wont see any hp gain from running higher than 18psi on the 26/6 you infact will see a small hp gain. Its just not enough to warrent that being your only reason. If your timing curves are set to such and the conditions are as well....why not make 20 more lb of tq if you got the ability to.

Ofcourse all this is a mood point anyway...if you want real power ditch the stock turbo and get something that can actually flow some cfm. I personaly feel you shorten the life of your turbo running those kind of boost levels because it wasent ment to do that in the first place. Although if your turbo is new like mine and you dont intend to keep it anyways.....for me it really doesnt matter.

This has kind of been beaten to death so its not like i wish to argue over my dyno #'s or what my is doing with what...who cares. I just saw someone posting that 16psi is the most you should ever run on a 26/6 and their is 0 performance gain to be had...thats simply not true. Also someone posted how 20psi on 93 octane isint even possible(safely) I just wanted to share my expeirences with that since the car has been running those kinds of boost levels now for quite sometime.

I think their are alot of misconceptions about what is and isint possible with our car's and its always nice to see someone trying something new and/or different. Not that that's me per say but, everyone and their brother 2 years ago would have said 300rwhp on a 6' car was impossible...not look at where we are. We have bolt on to4e cars running 350-370rwhp all day long on pump gas. I remember when 370rwhp was crazy. Now guys like jim are going for over 500hp with a 2.5ltr. I realize this is completely offtopic I just wanted to share my excitement for whats going on in the 51' community right now and how many companies are really raising the bar on the performance of our little 4 bangers.

I believe the 951 to be on the the best 4 cylinder performance cars ever produced.

Now all I need is 400rwhp and 2700lbs...and I will be happy. I swear.lol

Quick Reply: How does octane effect safe boost leve?