Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electrical problem w/ the 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:37 PM
RapidCore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem w/ the 951

Im hoping someone can help me out here, starting just a couple of weeks ago, every once in a while when im driving my car, my accessories will turn off, then come right back on, but once it took about 10 min to come back on. When I drive at night and this happens, my lights go completely dim. The engine doesnt seem affect by this. I ran an alternator test and found that it was only puttin out 13.6v. Im gonna have that rebuilt, but is there any other reason that could cause this?

Kurt
Old 04-21-2005, 04:12 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Kurt:

It could be all kinds of things. What do you mean by accessories? Lights, A/C, radio?

First thing to do is disconnect and clean all the grounds. Use some fine grit sandpaper (600 or higher) to get them nice and shiny. Then put dielectric grease on them when re-connecting.

Is the belt tight?

I am not sure what the specified output is, but 13.6v is not bad. It could have a bad diode or a short in the voltage regulator causing the problem. Try the free/cheap stuff first.

It will take you an hour or two to hit the five major ground points on the front of the car. Two on the block/bellhousing, one on each frame rail behind the headlights, and one in the battery compartment. There are others, but these are the ones most likely to effect the lights and dash items. I will have to get out the manuals to determine if any are under the dash.

Check the battery cables carefully for signs of corrosion, cracked insulation and deterioration while you are in there.

There is no silver bullet for weird electrical problems, just a methodical, patient, step by step process of elimination. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Beyond grounds and alternator, it could be the ignition switch, or something else.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I have virtually the same problems as you describe, but it usually happens right after I start the car. Indeed, it was the ignition switch. Try wiggling the key a little bit once you lose your accessories, just make sure you dont turn the ignition all the way off when driving! A new ignition switch will run you about $50, if it's the problem.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
RapidCore
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx, im gonna try most of those suggestions. i need to recheck my grounds on the bellhousing cause i just put a clutch in. but ill check out that ignition switch thing too
Old 04-22-2005, 12:23 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For once I can give a suggestion! I never know S#$t about our cars but I had some similar problems with my car. Went through everything and even got a new wiring harness. The last, I mean the very last thing I had checked was the wire going to the alternator. It was kind of corroded. Replaced that and everything lit up more than before and never flickered again.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem w/ the 951