Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
gecatec
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 alternator

not to long ago i had a subwoolfer in my 951 and i noticed my volt meter was going nuts, so i took the sub and amp out. i was wondering if i put it back in could i cause any damage to the alterator, if so can can i give my care an update to keep that from hurting it or anything else
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your sub amp is pulling too much power and you run the risk of blowing the voltage regulator and you could even cause damage to the DME and KLR.

Do yourself a favor and ditch that sub amp. If you really need some low frequency punch, get a smaller amp and sub. HINT: A 200 watt amp/sub combination that makes an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of 90dB is not any louder than a 50 watt amp/sub that makes an SPL of 90dB.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a common problem. You can try and put in a capacitor to cover the current draw peaks when bass hits and make sure your power wiring is heavy enough - like 4 gauge cable or larger.

But ....... the real problem is your alternator is too small for the power demand. Turn on your headlights and watch them flash dimmer to the beat of the music. Unfortunately, there is no cheap solution as you really need a bigger alternator. Like a big Delco with at least 200 amp capacity, maybe more, depending on the current draw. Which would mean you are going to have some fabrication and fitment work to get a bigger alternator jammed in there. Start thinking money flying out of your wallet.

If you do nothing to solve the problem you will kill your alternator. The rule of thumb is don't tax the alternator over 80% of capacity for over 20% of the time. Otherwise you will kill it. Emergency vehicles that have huge electrical loads go through alternators like candy.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM
951gashog
Advanced

Or get a second battery inline with amp, mount in back of car; will stablize draw/tranisent voltage dip issues.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:52 PM
951gashog
Advanced

I mean across amp voltage; sorry...

Quick Reply: 944 alternator