Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pulling my crossover pipe in a few hours, best way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Pulling my crossover pipe in a few hours, best way?

I've only pulled the crossover twice with the motor in the car and never had a good time doing it.

So... what is the best way? (Keep in mind I am dropping the rest of the exhaust for other repairs)

-Pull the intake
-Do it from the bottom only

Post away!
Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Only way is to pull the intake, take off the brake booster heat shield. Get the 3 bolts from the top, the one from the bottom, disconnect the O2 and take the 6 bolts out from the header connection and out she comes. When going back together it is usually much easier if you loosen the headers from the head just a little so they can move, that way all the bolts will go together much easier.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:49 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....da&dir=catalog

Get yourself a tool like that one. Doesnt have to be snapon, but just like that with the offset handle and the movable head.

I tried for prolly two hours to get one bolt off the crossover, but it was impossible. Nothing could get a good grip on it yet allow me to get the torque on it. My buddy lent me his tool like that one, I reach up, got the socket on, angeled the handle, popped a cheater bar on the handle since it was now possible to do that, and bam off it came with one good crank.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a breaker bar with a pivot head, I'll give it a shot before pulling the intake.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
I have a breaker bar with a pivot head, I'll give it a shot before pulling the intake.
Might work, best to try.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can pull it from the bottom, with the intake in place, i will be very impressed.....and will need to know how you did it
Old 04-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've done it.. it just took a while to work out the bolts at the turbo.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
I've done it.. it just took a while to work out the bolts at the turbo.
When I tried doing that with just a ratchet and swivel I think I could only turn the bolt less then a 1/4 turn before ratcheting back and turning again. It took forever.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Done in 3 hours from jack up to jack down, and I didn't remove the intake. Here was the procedure: (I do not have belly pans on my car)

-Disonnect battery
-Get car on jack stands
-Remove small louvered heat shield from crossmember
-Remove downpipe/cat, disconnect from wastegate, unbolt catback section, unbolt turbo section, unbolt hangers
-Remove wastegate, unbolt from crossover
-Remove O2 sensor
-Remove lower 3 bolts at turbo using 2 15MM wrenches, 1/4 turn at a time, remove throttle cable bracket, remove upper right bolt with 2 15MM wrenches, 1/4 turn at a time, remove 6 bolts from headers
-Clean area
-Lower car

For the upper bolt, I used a 1' section of electrical tape attached to the closed end of the 15MM wrench to "hang" from the intake and stay in contact with the nut. I then used the closed end of another 15mm to get 1/4-1/2 turns out of it each time. This helped a ton as I kept dropping the wrenches.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I still vote for taking the intake manifold off. It keeps hands and fingers from being strained and doesnt add much time once you are used to the procedure.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, it would be a heck of a lot easier, but time wise, anything I would gain would be lost when I put it all back together. I am pretty **** about how I have my wires and hoses routed and tied together. Add the various sensors for my datalogger and I can spend a mess of time getting it right. Ialso try not to disturb the fuel system unless I have to, since the rail has to come off to remove the intake, it pretty much made the decision for me.

All in all it really wasn't too hard to do. I started to recall tips I gave myself the last time I did it that helped me get it out with removing the bare minimum. It can be done!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, I never remove the fuel rail when I take off the intake, I just bend the whole thing back with the rail still on and the fuel lines still attatched to it.

I can understand though if you are worried about where all your vacuum lines and connections etc go that taking the intake off would be a bigger pain for you. For me it is a 5 minute job, but I just toss things all over the place.

Quick Reply: Pulling my crossover pipe in a few hours, best way?