Temps and Pressures for Track engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temps and Pressures for Track engine

Hi,

I am calibrating my Stack instrument cluster warning sensors and want to confirm appropriate high temperatures, and low pressures. The engine is a prepared 2.5L 4, with Stack sensors in the stock locations, and oil temp in the pan.

I have searched and found oil pressure to be in the 3.5 bar range when cold, approx 35 psi (51.5 psi), but am not sure what to watch for when warm, what would be a good warning limit?

Also for water temperature and oil temperature, what is a good upper warning limit?

As a side note, just finished fabricating 3" (effective diamater) oval side dump with a divorced 2" wastegate exiting side by side, will have pictures up on the website in a day or so, going to dyno for the first time with this car april 15th, will also post results.

Thanks,

Andrew Wojteczko
www.autoanalyser.com/indexrace.htm

Last edited by Andrew Wojteczko; 04-13-2005 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

3.5 bar is not 35 psi, check your math. Incidentally, 3.5 bar on a cold engine means a worn engine - a fresh cold engine should sit at 5 bar cold.

The best thing to do with oil warning lights is to see what your individual engine's pressure is at hot idle. Set it to just below that. Should be something around 30 psi.

Oil is good to about 270F, water should stay lower, 250F.

How are the spindles coming along? Very well prepped car.

Sam
Old 04-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, i have no excuse for that error, 1 bar is one atmosphere is 14.7 psi per bar,

we are seeing around 60 psi cold, or approximately 4 bar on the fresh engine, possibly a discrepancy between the stack sender and the porsche one, however 1 bar seems to be a fair amount.
I will keep an eye on the hot idle pressure and use that as the lower pressure limit

Thanks for the guidelines

The front uprights are still being refined, I have completed my thesis however will be contuining to improve the new design before going to the casting stage. It would be really nice to implement live spindles, however the requirement for new front struts, I feel would make them unattractive.

Thanks,

Andrew

Quick Reply: Temps and Pressures for Track engine