Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Street Racing, FL Ouch!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait Jeff, you can get a PO box in San Bernardino and not have the visual inspection? What about the rolling dyno smog test? Is that a state wide requirement, or is it because LA is one of the larger metro areas and the Inland Empire isn't quite developed yet?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I last checked, there were certain counties (IIRC San Bernadino was one) that didn't require smog check for registration, so you'd be okay there. The idea about changing your address on file with the DMV to a POB on file elsewhere was someone else's (I know a guy that did it to get around smog requirements) but the rules may have changed again. I'll have to do some digging on the CARB and DMV websites to see if those loopholes still exist.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm with eyal. i don't want the dumbasses on the track. let them have the drag strip. keep 'em off the track ya'll please!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:22 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BBailey

Make a mistake once, you're being young. Make it again, you're simply stupid and deserve whatever punishment is forthcoming.

Don't like it, hire an attorney. Can't afford a good one? Don't break the law.
This is a little short-sighted.

Jeez, the best thing about America is that it easy to get around the stupid, stupid laws we have about everything. Want to drive faster? Go ahead and most times you'll get away with it. And when you get caught, think of the fine you have to pay as a tax. So now they increase the fine/penalty so that it 's simply not worth it. And a little more of our freedom goes away. And what if that doesn't work (which it won't), maybe life imprisonment would help.

Why don't they just make being stupid a crime and leave the rest of us alone? Oh, yeah, 'cuz then most of the politicians would be guilty.

"Idiots!" --Napoleon Dynamite
Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 PM
ztnedman1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Most street races last a mintute or less though. People who street race dont want to spend $$ to be at a track for an hour or so.
More or less i think the punishment should depend on all the asepects.. traffic, previous violations, the recklessnes of the driving etc..
Problem comes with determining what is street racing... whos to say once you get over 100 your not "street racing".
Imagine your on the intersate on a spirited run going 80-90 in no/mild traffic, your in the left hand lane... some kid tries to race you and you dont even know. Cop sees you and claims you were street racing. both of you are at fault now. So your saying you deserve jail time/lose your car? And saying dont do it again? might as well sell your car and NEver speed again, cause you never know. It seems to me everytime i would get on the inerstate EVERYONE would speed up to 90mph, even if i wasnt. So I guess im street racing if me and some guy are going 80 or so even if we are just driving?
No. I agree sure fines if your caught speeding with another car or so, but jail and confiscation?? no. Not unless its obvious that the person was being reckless (weaving through traffic, etc) Then i agree with the terms in first post. As for if your not being reckless then i would think suspension after multiple offeses would be better. It doesnt matter this bill wont be passed. No govt is going to take speeders off the road. They want your money thats all they really dont care if you speed or race as long as your not killing anyone.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The irony of this proposed ledisalation is that it is coming from the same legislature that wants to make it a crime to drive too slowly in the right lane. They feel that making that illegal will stop dangerous passing in the right lane. So which is it? Slow down or speed up? Idiots. We didn't elect them to tell us how to live, we elected them to keep the facilities running. Cripes! Lucky that bastard's not in N.E. Fl. No...I don't think people should race on the street...if you were wondering. I just demand consistency. E
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

IF it passes, it'll prolly last about 6 months until some monkey in a Ferrari gets it levelled against him, they seize it, and his lawyers have a field day. Even if the law did make sense (I still can't rationalize taking houses etc away from the families of drug dealers) and I didn't have a major beef with the whole premise of it, there is WAY too much wiggle room from the pigs involved for what they decide to be street racing. Any legislation that gives some overweight on the take donut muncher the jurisdiction to make a judgement call like that better fail or I'm heading for the border.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Ok I really hope this doesnt pass because im moving down to Tampa this August. So say you get pulled over once and now you gotta be scared ****less everytime you drive so that you dont get your car taken by the state. I dont like the sound of that. I agree that it can be dangerous, but to me a fine is a much better(reasonable) punishment.
By the way does someone know if florida has SMOG inspections(I sure hope not)??
Old 04-13-2005, 03:06 AM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Ah, I was under the impression that this would be temporary seizure!"

The states and federal government are looking for ways to increase revenues. By seizing whatever property they can, they can generate huge $$. Make no mistake it will only be temporary if you buy it back.

I'm not for street racing, but it's one thing to sieze property from drug dealers, or drunk drivers. But the way seizure laws are written you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. What's wrong with this picture?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:29 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I recall there being NOTHING consistent about the driving in Florida when I lived there! That goes for the driving habits AND the selective enforcement that was practiced!

On the former - FL has to be the most hazardous place I've ever lived due to the sheer unpredictability of it all. You have gramps with his pacemaker ready to short out any second, Mr. "I'm-a-NASCAR-legend-in-my-own-mind" Mustang guy, Ms. Soccer Mom with her 2.2 kids and dog in the back seat of her minivan, Mr. Distracted in his Lexus on the cell phone brokering a real estate deal, the construction workers and landscapers getting sauced at 2 in the afternoon, etc. etc. etc. . . Nothin' but fun there. FL scared the hell out of me - you had NO IDEA what the heck that person in the other vehicle was going to do - proceed normally? Swerve at random into my lane? Jump that red light? You never knew. Even in Boston and L.A. - two areas I've lived that are notorious for bad driving, there is a certain level of predictability to the behaviors - you just have to figure out "the rules" - the ones you'll never find in any book. . .

As far as enforcement goes I swear FL was the most screwed-up place on earth. Nowhere else have I ever literally seen a cop out running radar on a highway at 2:30 am in the middle of a swamp. I'm talking there must have been one car going by every 10 minutes - if that. Like what exactly is THAT supposed to protect? One day they'd be going after the college kids, the next day they'd be going after the mullet-heads (good) and the next day they'd be nowhere to be found. It was completely random. Very bizarre. Dunno - maybe it's different now. . .
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't believe some of you are actually agreeing with this idiot.

Wow you can't do a thing in this country without getting in trouble. I'd rather see people get $1000 tickets instead of taking cars away, and issuing sentences on racing. Can't believe how this country has us by the ***** yet no one speaks out.

Personally I think they can give two ****s whether or not anyone dies in street racing. Law enforcement is a business now that creates tremendous profit. It's all about the money to these guys.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:43 AM
daniel951
Race Car

ya i think it is a bunch of bull**** to take away peoples car for racing. basically a cop can u were street racing and its ur words vs his. i wonder who is going to win that. then the next thing everything u have invested in the car is now gone. I rather go to jail then give up my car
Old 04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Way back when, long before many of you young kids might remember, we used to have a concept in this country called "civil liberties". This included something known as "due process", which meant that the government had to prove a person's guilt by means of a process that had been developed by the legislature (who ultimately answered to the people).

Ahhh, the good old days.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 PM
ztnedman1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

haha yea. Seems to still follow it minus traffic violations. An ******* cop could **** you over if they wanted to.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:33 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Some of you guys sound like if u never in ur life street raced or ran the car hard against some other car. All i say is the gov't shouldnt take away the car, but educate the driver instead of such a hursh punishment. Some guys//kids have put all of the hard earned money sweet and blood onto thier car and here comes this fat *** cop and a law to tow away ur PRIDE AND JOY i dont think. that happen to my best friend and almost to me too. My friend worked a 60hr week at his crumy job at mcdonalds so he can come up with the money to do a mod and repair his car. he went threw all the gears to see everything and how it performed and here was a uncover cop car pulling him over saying he was racing when it was just me and him seating in his car and no other cars around him. And got his car towed and then stolen by the tow truck company. (THE CAR GOT LOST) never made it to the pound. No one was at fault and he lost everything with no insurance money becase the cop said he was street racing and the insurance company policy didnt allow that. I KNOW IT SEEMS A BIT FAR but hey **** happens. all i say is dont take our babys away.

Quick Reply: OT: Street Racing, FL Ouch!!