Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Value of this '86 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:12 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice coverage of recent 951 comps guys! This is really all about where a motivated seller and a motivated buyer can meet on any specific car. I've seen really nice Turbo cars go for $6,500, but not usually in a national or regional marketplace where the field of buyers is a little bigger. Less original jazzy examples on an 86 have reached $16 on Ebay in the last six months (assuming the buyer was not a deadbeat).

I'm happy with a recent purchase of an 89 Turbo with great records, fresh mechanicals and 65K miles for $13.3. Why wasn't it $18? Needs a nose respray, has some track mods including roll bar removal scars and a stress cracked roof panel right where the roll bar wore the head linef. Value is right on the money, IMO. I pleased as punch and if I whittle away at these small issues the car will be worth more than I purchased it for.

Point being, there is no absolute, only the meeting of two parties at agreed value.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Jerad
Pro

If its truly as nice as you have described and all maintenance is current, $12-15k easy. It sounds like it has some, if not all of the desirable options (fuchs, sport seats, M030, and with those options there is a good chance it has a lsd tranny). If the fuchs are indeed 8s and 9s that would be quite rare and expensive. I, for one, value a car that is in "excellent" condition much than one that is in "good" condition. When I think of the value of a car like this, I think about how much money it would take to make a good example into an excellent example. For example, you could buy a good one for $8-9k and it would probably not have all the options you listed. A set of 951 fuchs in good condtion ~$1500 or a set of 8s and 9s in good condition much more than that, sport seats in good condition ~$1k, sport suspension I'm not sure how much to replicate but in pricing all new bushings and new shocks ~$1500-2000. If it does have lsd add atleast another $1k, probably more. Add all that up and you're in pretty deep. Now add a paint job because the body is not in nearly as good shape as the "excellent" car and probably needs some interior work done. I'm sure all that extra work adds up to much more than the price of an excellent car.

The problem is most people aren't looking for a 951 in excellent shape. Most people out there are looking for a 'deal' and do not put a premium on a top notch car. I think it would take a while to find the right buyer thats willing to pay above average price for an above average car.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
bpp944
Pro

I'd say 12K easy. (And I know of another low-milage example that may be for sale)
Old 04-09-2005, 07:56 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe it. My car misrepresented at the Russo and Steels auction went for a high bid of $46000. On ebay, the place of the most low bidders looking for an even better deal, it went for a high of 42,000. I took neither. The auction house said they expect to get over 60k and will auction it for free because of their mistake, if I decide to do it, in August in Monterey. I know I have one of the baddest cars out there but I only say ONE of the baddest because I've seen some the the members' cars and there are many fine examples. EVERY auction house and car market speculator is seeing, not just speculating, a huge appreciation in the custom and retro mod market. Our cars are, or have the potential to be, worth more than what I'm reading here. Call your tuners, get your mods cause horsepower sells. Then cosmetically work your little water pumpers and you will get way more. I'm proof of that. Sorry for the ramble. I'm done...

Quick Reply: Value of this '86 944 Turbo