Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost Limit Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 05:05 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Default Boost Limit Problem

My car is on the dyno as I type. I just had a Wold3D and J&S safeguard installed. The installation has gone well but on the dyno the car is only allowing boost up to ~14.5 lbs. Could this be the wastegate stuck open or some other sort of leak. No matter how much the valve is increased ~14.5 is the max boost. Any ideas. The wastegate is a LR dual port unit and is about 3 years old. Of course within those 3 years I have used the car at most 5000 miles. If that. Thanks in advance.

Ignacio
Old 04-05-2005 | 06:44 PM
Evan70
Pro

What are the exact symptoms? Does it cutout or stutter? Or does it run fine but only build to 14.5psi of boost? If it runs fine but only builds to 14.5psi, then I'd look at the boost controller, what are you running for the boost controller?
Old 04-05-2005 | 06:51 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Evan70: I wasn't at the dyno. The guy installing said the car runs smoothly but only builds 14.5 lbs of boost. I was using a MBC before but I am not sure what he is running. He is using an elctronic valve of some sort that will be controlled by the Wolf3d. He checked this to make sure that the valve was okay and it was. He is going to check the lines to the wastegate to make sure that they are okay. Could the wastegate be bad? Well the spring at least?
Old 04-05-2005 | 06:57 PM
Evan70
Pro

It's always a possiblity, but I'd be much more likely to think it was something else. Especially if he's switching it to some kind of electronic valve controlled by the Wolf3d. Since that's a really new product from Lindsey, does the installer understand completely how it's supposed to work? Also, make sure he's aware of how the Lindsey wastegate should be setup (instructions on Lindsey's site). The easiest way to check would be to hook the MBC back up and make some runs with that and see if you can get more boost. If so, you know it's got to be the new setup.
Old 04-05-2005 | 07:02 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Evan70: The guy installing it is the same one developing it for Lindsey Racing. He has installed it in a few local cars including his own. So I am pretty sure he knows how to set it up.
Old 04-05-2005 | 07:55 PM
Evan70
Pro

Ok, so he should definitely know it inside and out then. I'd still think the easiest way to trouble shoot it would be hook the MBC back up and see if you can get more boost. If so, that would mean it has to be something with the new setup.

Do you mind if I ask why you're going to the Wolf3d system? It looks like a great system, but the cost is just too prohibitive for me.
Old 04-06-2005 | 12:22 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Evan70: I am going with the Wolf3D since the guy that is developing it for Lindsey lives in my area. It has been used on a few local cars with good results. I don't think the price is much considering how much you need to pay to have a Motec installed. Besides I may be paying less for the Wolf3d, J&S safeguard and labor than what it will cost just for the Wolf3d when it is released. I am not sure this is just a guess. I really wanted to put in a system where I would have local support. There is a Motec distributor here but I can't recall if hea has done 944 turbos. Besides I would rather spend all that extra money on something else. There are no cars in the area, that I know of, that run a Haltech, Tec III, etc. Basically I like the idea of having the support in the same city.
Old 04-06-2005 | 01:52 PM
Edman951
Pro

Normally a EBC has a control over boost starting from the psi setting of the spring in the wastegate. And it also has a max over the spring setting.
So let's say the spring is a 5psi then the minimum boost possible is 5psi and the EBC can only go about 10-15psi over that spring. Depending of the EBC. Check manufacture specs.

Are you maxing out the EBC?
If so then try setting the EBC just a bit under the max. If you get a bit less boost then you need to upgrade the spring in the wastgate to reach higher psi.
Now all of this is with a Tial. So i don't know if its exacttly the same with the Lindsey.
Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2005 | 02:03 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Edman951: I'll let the guy know this. It may be something to think about. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2005 | 03:02 PM
Evan70
Pro

Just as a reference point, my Lindsey DP wastegate with an EBC will run 18psi easily (I don't normally run it there, but it will hold it).
Old 04-07-2005 | 07:07 AM
eastendr
Instructor

Interesting about the Wolf-3D.

I was talking to Dave Lindsey about it last night and so I'll be interested to see how your installation goes.

I use a Lindsey DPW with a Blitz SBC-iD EBC. I can control down to about 7.5 PSI reliably, and have also run a consistent 18PSI at times with no problem. That is with a K26/8.

The new Turbo's going on this weekend (LR Super 75), along with other major works so it'll be interesting to see what I can control the boost down to while the parts are settling in and I'm doing some mapping. The car currently has a GURU Map 2 with the link programmer in the centre console.

Certainly what I see of the Wolf so far, and the fact that dave's conversion will use the stock sensors and loom / DME plug makes it look the logical step for me.

Keep the information coming
Old 04-07-2005 | 11:48 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

eastendr: The fact that I can still use the stock sensors and loom was a major factor in my decision to go with the Wolf3d. Having the guy, who is developing the Wolf3d for Lindsey, installing it in my car is a big bonus. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-08-2005 | 05:22 AM
Danno
Race Director

There's several possibilities here:

1. The Lindsey wastegate has a spring that's about 2x as stiff as stock. Personally, I would go with one that 3x as stiff to equal a 1.0bar spring on a Tial. Even with the MBC or an EBC at 100%, the wastegate can still be pushed open by exhaust-pressure. Test this by unhooking the hoses from the wastegate completely (this is the same as 100% on the EBC). Do several gentle runs starting at 25% throttle and watch the boost. Then do the next one with more throttle to build more boost. You'll notice that you'll have to give it more and more gas to maintain the same boost-pressure.

2. IF you have a stock K26/6, I've found in many cases that even with no wastegate control connected, and sometimes with the wastegate removed completely and a cover-plate installed, that you can feather the throttle to get 18psi in the mid-range, but by 5000rpm, you can be at 100% throttle and the boost will still drop. Some of these turbos are worn out, some of them have bent axles, etc.

3. catalytic converter? I've seen numerous examples of aftermarket "high flow" cats that are very restrictive. Swapping in the stock cat or a bypass-pipe restored +4-10psi more boost.

4. dyno-load setting. A LOT of dyno-operators do not have their dynos set to simulate real-world load on the cars. This is probably an attempt at prolonging service intervals. However, it does you the disservice of not having your car operate like it would in the real world. Even using the commonly-accepted dyno practice of 4th gear, which should build maximum boost on the street, will only result in 80-90% of that on the dyno. This is most likely the culprit.
Old 04-08-2005 | 11:51 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Danno:
1) The installer of the Wolf3d is going to check all connections to the wastegate to make sure there are no leaks or improper connections. He is also going to check the spring to make sure that it is okay. I know Lindsey Racing told me that they have never had a problem with their wastgates but I could be the first instance were the spring has crapped out.

2) I have a T4 Garrett and never had any issues before the install of the Wolf3d.

3) No cat here. I have a full 3" LR exhausts.

4) I can't comment on this!
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:03 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Default Update!

The installer found out that the connections to the wastegate were wrong and that my previous shop had put some kind of banjo bolt right before going to the wastegate. All this has now been fixed. He also found that the idle control plug and knock control plug were exposed and shorted. He found this out while he had been cold start tuning the Wolf3d. The other shocking thing he found was that the large hose that attaches to a plastic junction, which acts as a manifold for my power brake booster and idle valve, was broken which meant I had a 1/2 “ boost leak. The vacuum would kind of pull it together but under boost it would get blown apart. Of course he also noticed the control arm issue which has been resolved. Did I mention I will also be installing a LR crankcase breather tank. I can't wait to get the car back.

Quick Reply: Boost Limit Problem