Proper Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Coolant

Hey all,

I bought some coolant for my car, and I bought Phosphate free. However what is in the car currently is NOT phosphate free.

So, where is the drain plug? I am at college right now so I can't actually see the car for myself, I just wanted to know so I don't have any problems when I get home next weekend.

THanks to all,

Jared
Old 04-05-2005, 04:09 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's two drain plugs. One is on the bottom corner of the radiator on the driver's side facing the rear of the car. It comes out with a phillips head screwdriver. The other is at the back of the engine block on the passenger side of the block by the #4 cylinder. It's kind of a bitch to get to honestly, but uses a 10mm socket with some short extensions (or is it 13, I can't remember offhand). A 1/4" drive setup seems to be the easiest there as there's not a lot of room to swing a wrench.

Also make sure you open the heater valve to get what's up in the heater core portion of the system by turning the car onto full heat with the sliders and *****. Alternately you can just reach back there and hold the lever open by hand on the valve, it's the plastic double diaphram valve at the back of the engine pretty much above the bellhousing.

Which coolant did you get? If it's that orange dexcool junk I'd say take it back and look at something like Zerex G-05 or the VW stuff (blue variety). Too many horror stories about the orange stuff out there to read if you don't get the old stuff cleaned out very well before putting it in. (heck even on cars that came from the factory with it there's horror stories). G-05's good stuff though and available most places plus it doesn't do ugly things if you don't get all of the old green crap out of there first.

Quick Reply: Proper Coolant