Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bronze Bushing for the Street?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:25 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bronze Bushing for the Street?

I just started a new project. Rebuilding the A-arms (ball joints) in my 951 and adding the Geometry correction kit. Because of my garage situtation, I ca only do one arm at time. I onlyhave access to one side of the car at a time.

I got the ball joint out, and it was beat to hell. The bushing was in about 7 pieces. The good news is there is no out of round (visual check) and just the slightest amount of galling. There is a small spot about an 1/8 wide by 1/4 long. I will check the roundness at work tomarrow.

Anyways, I am wanting to go with the Rennbay GCK and was thinking about doing the bronze bushing upgrade. I don't want to be doing this again for a long time. Are the bronze bushings too harsh for the street?

My next thought is to replace the bushings that mount to the frame with one of two configurations. I could make my own out of delrin. Since they are out of the car, they are easy to meausure. Then it is simply draw them up in CAD, export me a IGES file, and have a g-job run in the machine shop.

I could also make some nice ones like elephant racing has. Using sealed roller bearings and aluminum, I could make a nice set of bushings. My fear is though that solide bushing would pound the crap out of the car. I don't care if I feel the roughness, I just care about hurting the car. I am thinking that the rubber mounts actually do adsorb energy when surface irregularities on the street are encountered and that running solid bushing would really put of alot of impact onto parts of the car that weren't designed for impact.

Any thoughts? Any experiences?

-Dana

Quick Reply: Bronze Bushing for the Street?