Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ignition lock cylinder removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Kimple
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition lock cylinder removal

I hope some of you have done this. I'm trying to remove ignition lock cylinder from the streering lock housing. I have followed the workshop manual instructions: http://kotinetti.suomi.net/kimple/ohje.jpg and drilled a hole in correct place, but don't seem able to disengage the lock cylinder. Why manual is telling you to drill two holes but show place only for one? What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Kimple
Advanced

Got it!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Exclamation steering lock/lock cylinder fix

You can use the fracture bolt again, if you cut a slot in it for a flat blade screwdriver. I used a Dremel tool and a ceramic disk to cut the slot.

While you have the steering lock off the car, it is good to inspect and clean it. My BMW would not start because the steering lock would not turn. A small aluminum pin jammed it. After cleaning, now works fine, and no need for new and expensive steering lock.

If the lock cylinder is broken, you may be able to get a new lock cylinder already fit to your old key, so you would not need to change the door or hatch locks. For my BMW, this cost ~$59. I do not know about Porsche, though.

Quick Reply: Ignition lock cylinder removal