Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WOW!! I am an idiot!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you removed the IC before?....
Yep. Done it several times. The reason I recommend this route is depending on how big these particles are they can cause a lot of damage once in enters the engine. He can try vacuuming but that doesn't guarantee there's nothing left in there. If he pulss it out he can clean and flush the whole intercooler and give him peace of mind that there are no particles left. Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-30-2005, 11:40 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DivineE
A tad off topic but given the kind of day you were having did you remember to remove the grub screw holding the rotor arm before you tried to pull it off??
Haha, yes, of course.

Well, I tried everything you guys suggested, short of removiing the intercooler, with no luck. Then my neighbor happened to walk past my garage, and ask what I was doing, so I filled him in. I told him that with a coathanger, I could push it around, but not get the right angle. His response, "Sit Tight."

He returned 5 minutes later with his laptop and a black case. Inside the case, was a tiny camera, no bigger than the eraser head on a pencil, and it was connected to a skinny, long, flexable hose. At the end of the hose was a USB connection, and he plugged it into his laptop, and pulled up a program to view it. He stuck the camera down in the IC piping, where you could see the piece. After a few tries with the coat hanger, I was able to get it just right, and pull it out.

The program he was using had a record feature, and we used it, because I wanted to show you guys this cool little tool, but you don't have the ability to save it as a MPG or WMV. It saves it as a file that can only be opened by this program.

Thanks for all the help, though. If he hadn't come along, I was going to remove the IC. I am glad I was saved that headache!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:42 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cas951
Yep. Done it several times. The reason I recommend this route is depending on how big these particles are they can cause a lot of damage once in enters the engine. He can try vacuuming but that doesn't guarantee there's nothing left in there. If he pulss it out he can clean and flush the whole intercooler and give him peace of mind that there are no particles left. Just my 2 cents....
That is probably some good advice. I may do it today, depending on how the MAF, chips, new vac lines, CV delete, and MBC go.......
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, maybe I wasn't rough enough with that plastic piece...I dont know I couldn't get that thing out of there to let the IC come out. I ended up pulling the bumper because I was going to do that anyway farther down the line.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that plastic ducting is the freakin devil, took me over an hour to get that thing out.

Grrrrr,
John

Quick Reply: WOW!! I am an idiot!!