Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

$5 Boost conroller.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Pavlo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $5 Boost conroller.

This might not be for Porsche owners but some of you who ran out of money (j/k ) might like it, it is a DIY boost conroller!: http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/mbc/mbc.php .

Happy Boosting.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Chas
Pro

not bad...does anyone have the DIY instructions to the adjustable one with a ****, like the lindsey mbc unit?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
J Chen
Drifting

It works just like the Reliaboost but being
diy it's quite dangerous if you get the wrong
spring tension cause your boost might hit the
roof causing demage to the engine. Spend the
50 bucks & be done with it or on the other hand
for a better & safer project look no further than the
thread on building my own boost controller.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Chas
Pro

...that's what I'm looking for...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

ANYTHING re: boost control != a place one wants to cheap out on....

edit:
to sum up my argument: $50 is not bad from a value-added reseller who has been more than helpful to me and others for FREE in the past. when you figure the cost of vac. lines, fittings, the little bracket (not that it's rocket science or hard to make one) and that it comes from one place and is convenient (and for those needing them, has instructions) that's worth it right there.

there is nothing wrong w/ DIY but time is money.

edit2: and i don't have to carry around tools to adjust my OVERPRICED one, i can do it from with in the car, on the street/track with almost no effort. *shrugs* to each his/her own...

Last edited by dmoffitt; 03-31-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

i agree saving a few $$ on a boost controller will lead into a possible eng.
well knowledge is the key. there's a lot of rennlisters that are technically versed in this and other diy project that may be able to put a few input on this and other diy projects right?
diy keeps the cost of owning p-cars a dream come true and it brings ppl with the same passion together.
though i wouldn't try this diy at the same time i'm not condeming it either. just be careful and compile data first.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://darklightning.com/gi/mbc.htm
Old 03-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But there's lots of money for clear turn signal lenses.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Pavlo
Intermediate

haha, thats true. Funny how people spend thousands of dollars on turbo setups and only a few for a boost controller.
I know some people using this MBC and it is pretty nice and stable, of course you need a boost gauge with this. I found another DIY MBC maybe some might like this one http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html .
I personally would rather get a nice electronic boost controller. A boost gauge cost over 100$ and a EBC nowdays cost as low as $200 including a boost gauge.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:14 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by Pavlo
A boost gauge cost over 100$
Huh? You can get a VDO boost gauge for $25 or an Autometer for $35.

Guys, a manual boost controller is a VERY simple device. It's not rocket science and only takes a small effort on your part to build your own. Why most of you pay out the nose (such as THIS ) for $10 in brass fittings & misc. hardware is beyond me.

That said, electronic boost controllers are better than manual boost controllers, and some EBC's are better than other EBC's. If you have room in your budget an EBC is your best choice, but if not then make your own MBC for pennies.

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 03-31-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:42 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Dark, I agree with you to but perhaps we
should advice that it's for people who should
understand at least some of the mechanics
& the consequences of a improper set-up.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
i have this, paid about 50 bux, and have used one on every turbo car i've had, works great, easy as hell to use, can be set from in the car.
That's a pressure regulator available from any Home Depot, Industrial Supply, or the like for less.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

never seen 'em at home depot. *shrugs*

then again, that, the fittings, tubing, mounting bracket... add all that up and 50 bux isnt bad.

look, i'm gonna be blunt at the risk of sounding like a huge snob.

i'm not going to spend HOURS or DAYS searching out little parts and putting this kind of thing together when for ooooh, a WHOLE WHOPPING 40 MORE DOLLARS i can buy somebody's proven working solution. not when i have spent this much on my car... it's not worth my TIME. maybe for someone who can't hardly afford a 951 in the first place (which, imo, is just plain STUPID, why string yourself out to own one, it's JUST a car), it would be worth it, but i do freelance work and every hour i spend NOT working on a client's stuff is money out of my pocket, and a lot more than $40 usually......
It's all about point of view.

You're interested in bolt-on power with no effort on your part except for a lighter wallet. If that works for you, that's fine.

I approach cars as a hobby and I don't care how much time it takes from my day since money is tighter for me. If it takes me 10 minutes in the air compressor accessories department, I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 03-31-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

that's a dick assumption to make there dark.

no.

i was merely saying time=money. i'm not rich, but right now my time is worth more than a few dollars for something like that... plus knowing it will work vs. testing something and blowing a car up, hm. THEN what did it cost you?
Argue with an idiot for too long and people start to wonder who's who. And while I'd love to have a flame war, it's really not worth it.

Let's stick to facts.

#1 - I have NEVER blown up a motor by testing something like this. Heck, I haven't blown up a motor at all.

#2 - That EXACT same 'boost controller' is a common air pressure regulator for an air compressor and can be had for $20. I'm just saying 5 minutes of thought and ingenuity can be a rewarding experience.

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 03-31-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

so i'm an idiot now too? but you AREN'T starting a flame war, right? just posting inflammatory comments/insults. cute.

I'm not knocking DIY, i was merely pointing out it wasn't a worthwhile use of my time (and probably a number of other people on this board). sue me...
But what if the DIY option and the 'professional' option ARE THE EXACT SAME THING?

Last edited by Dark Lightning; 03-31-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $5 Boost conroller.