Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

For the love of my 951...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
FlyingPig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got some money just chillin... I would say keep the nice one stock, and buy one thats not as nice for modding...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat

OK, maybe, just maybe, a set of chips...
Good boy, and whats the use of chips without a little boost to go with it? Just 15 psi will do
Old 03-28-2005, 09:16 PM
FlyingPig
Advanced

might as well get a MAF while you're at it...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the "money just chillin'" would be my S2, but my father has taken a liking to the car and I doubt he'll be tiring of it soon enough to trade it for an 86 951 to modify. Would be fun, though!

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get some "edumacation" from Tommye who'll be fitting some Vitesse chips in his 951 cab shortly. I just may go that route, but in a way, it breaks my heart to modify this car.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your broken heart will be offset by the huge smile.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Warning !! DO not install chips!!!
Thats how I started.... I said to myself ...ok just chips and I'll be satisfied..
then the chips wore off and I said Ok just a little more power and then I'll stop..
and that lead to the next mod and the next mod...then ok just the Vitesse stage 2 and I'll be happy ......well today I found myself justifying a Vitesse head!!
It's a sickness man... I just can't stop!!
Can someone direct me to the 951's anonymous clinic so I can dry out???
Old 03-29-2005, 12:30 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Luis just do things that are not permanent. I kept all of my stock stuff so I could put mine back. It made me sick at first to mess a clean low mileage car. But I know that I don't beat on it and the car can be put back.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Luis, I think you need to drive some modified 951's to make up your mind... and if you decide to start climbing the HP ladder, just keep all the stock parts so you can later restore the car back into stock configuration if needed.

I would personally LOVE a black, big-turbo 951 cab, lowered, bling 18's,... man, think about it

Now here's a wild idea. What are your plans for 13-15/5 this year? Join us at the 'ring and you can try my 951 to see if you like it or not. Viamichelin.com says it's only a 1284 km drive for you

Last edited by Sami951; 03-29-2005 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sami951
Now here's a wild idea. What are your plans for 13-15/5 this year? Join us at the 'ring and you can try my 951 to see if you like it or not
Man, that sounds tempting. How many km from here... 1K, 1.5K... Wish I could swing it!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Man, that sounds tempting. How many km from here... 1K, 1.5K... Wish I could swing it!
Oops, I just edited my previous post while you were posting... anyway it seems to be around 1,3K. Think about it, and if you feel like joining us, just let me know!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Here are my €0.02 on the subject.
I've driven quite a few 951s (around 11), from an early '85 to several late '91s, in various states, and more or less stock.

1) For a cab, the 951 cab is fast "enough" in stock form.
The purpose of a cab is more to be a gentle fun holiday car than a race car. If M030 was not on the option lists for cabs, it was for a good reason, that is the cab shell is not stiff enough for "serious" suspensions settings. I've driven a S2 cab with M030 shocks and it did not feel quite adapted, to say the least.

2) Engine upgrades alone make little sense.
You certainly would not want to upgrade your engine with the average basic chipset (~300hp) without subsequently getting rid of the rubbish Sachs shocks of the original suspension. IMHO suspension/chassis/brake upgrades should always come first when modifying a car.

3) Are you sure you can drive it ?
How fast can you actually drive your car in its present form ? Are you sure you master it 100 % ? I would not want to upgrade a car I do not perfectly master in stock form. That's calling for trouble.

4) Reliability.
The 951 engine in stock form is virtually bullet-proof if well maintained. No matter what you can be told and what you can read, it is mathematical that it will "wear out" quicker if you plan on getting more power out of it.

If I had a 951 coupé, I'd certainly end up modifying the hell out of it, but I see no point in modifying a cab if it works well in stock form.

All IMHO of course.

Last edited by Thom; 03-29-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
1) For a cab, the 951 cab is fast "enough" in stock form.
The purpose of a cab is more to be a gentle fun holiday car than a race car.
I know you don't like cabs, but that doesn't make them "holiday cars." Above all, all Porsches are sports cars. Granted, in cabriolet form they're going to flex more than the coupes, but this isn't a Megane convertible either, and you'll be hard pressed to find a more rigid '90s convertible from Porsche. There is none.

2) Engine upgrades alone make little sense.
You certainly would not want to upgrade your engine with the average basic chipset (~300hp) without subsequently getting rid of the rubbish Sachs shocks of the original suspension. IMHO suspension/chassis/brake upgrades should always come first when modifying a car.
I think you need to factor the tires into the equation. With Michelin Pilot Sports, which tend to be more giving, this car can probably take slightly stiffer shocks, but the stock shocks in the car perform identically to the new set I just fit in the S2 cab. So far, I'm really satisfied with the response in turns, etc. The ride quality is great.

3) Are you sure you can drive it ?
How fast can you actually drive your car in its present form ? Are you sure you master it 100 % ? I would not want to upgrade a car I do not perfectly master in stock form. That's calling for trouble.
I think this is always the case with any sports car and its driver, yet enthusiasts are always looking to get a little extra from them. It's a separate topic from what was asked here.

4) Reliability.
The 951 engine in stock form is virtually bullet-proof if well maintained. No matter what you can be told and what you can read, it is mathematical that it will "wear out" quicker if you plan on getting more power out of it.
From what I've read in several sources, I have reason to believe that the chip set in these cars from factory made them significantly "detuned" with regard to their "normal" operating range. Another 20 or 30HP is probably where the car should be, and putting it there won't damage it any more than I already do flooring it on boost with the factory chip set.

If I had a 951 coupé, I'd certainly end up modifying the hell out of it, but I see no point in modifying a cab if it works well in stock form.
Again, you liken cabs to "holiday cars." I see them as sports cars. Your preference is different from mine, but that doesn't make all 944 cabs "holiday cruisers." They're quite capable cars, actually. You just don't care for them, and that's your prerogative, but it's not dogma.

All IMHO of course.
Thanks, but you're obviously biased against cabs, so your opinion isn't exactly "helpful."
Old 03-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Thom
Race Car

LOL - thanks for the lengthy reply, Luis.
Please just let me point out the few points you are making have little validity if you compare a 951 cab with a 951 coupé.
I'm sorry but if you're going to seriously mod a 951, the coupé will be more rewarding to drive than the cab.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Please just let me point out the few points you are making have little validity if you compare a 951 cab with a 951 coupé.
That's just it, you're the only one insisting on comparing the two. I have a cab, and not a coupé. Pretty obvious that I intend to keep it, isn't it? If you want to recommend that I sell the cab and get a coupé, well, that's fine, but it's totally irrelevant to this thread.

As for which is more satisfying, again, that's totally subjective. I enjoy top down driving. Apparently, you don't. I'm well aware that you prefer coupés (must be the French weather?) but I get tired of you ragging on cabs all the time.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Thom
Race Car

Where did you see me ragging on cabs all the time ?

I'm comparing the two because you are unlikely to get huge feedback on modified 951 cabs from the US, that's all.

In any case you won't be able to decide wether you like a modified 951 cab or not until you try it for yourself.
Buy a chipset and if you don't like it sell it and get back to stock.
In any case, please stop beating about the bush and take a decision
$300 for a 951 owner is not the end of the world, is it ?

Quick Reply: For the love of my 951...