Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking at 1986 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:54 AM
powell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 1986 944 turbo

Is there anything I should be particularly aware of in buying this car? The one I wil look at has 85k and the fellow is asking 6,800.00. It could use the rotors replaced on all brakes which he said will cost around $500.00. AC compressor is bad.....sunroof opens but does not "come off'?
Has new exhaust, security system, back tires, and fuel pressure regulator. Timing belt replaced about 25k miles ago. 2nd owner with maintanence records going back to 1986. Red with black interior....selling because a baby is on the way. Anything I should be looking for in terms of this particular car? Thanks!!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems a little low for a turbo. How long ago were the belts done? I think most people advise 3 years or 30k.... So figure you will need to go in and do it again. You can get the rotors for well under $500... The sunroof should come out. Maybe the PO does not know how to remove it. Do you have any pics?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Scan the service records for ball joints, clutch, power steering, fluid change intervals (oil, brake, transmission, coolant), oil cooler seals, exhaust manifolds, struts, shocks and A/C.

What are the option codes on the car? They are located on a sticker in the hatch area under the carpet and on the warranty manual. I would be very critical of the body, paint and interior. If it is shiny, straight, looks nice, and the other accessories work, have a pre-purchase inspection on both the mechanicals and body. It will cost you a few bucks, but could save a bundle in the long run. The car was manufactured 20 years ago, so do not be suprised if there are some issues with it.

The A/C could cost up to $1,000 to repair depending on what is wrong with it. If the cam/balance belts are documented to be less than five years old and have less than 30 k miles, I would have them inspected, but replacement is not absolutely mandatory. Depends on who did the work last time and whether any seals are leaking.

You going to be doing the wrenching yourself? Where are you, and where is the car?
Old 03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, do a search for buying guide tips for the 944 (there are a couple around). In addition, Turbo's are notoriously expensive/time-consuming to do clutch job on -- especially true of the '86 (call your local mechanic and ask for an estimate -- you'll be shocked!). I'd look for a recent clutch job simply because of that.

As for the AC, if the AC charge is low, it will appear as if the compressor is bad.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
powell
3rd Gear

Thanks for your replies. I drove the car yesterday. The body is in good condition, as is the interior. I did smell a musty smell and thought perhaps there could have been a water leakage issue in the past. The hatchback seal had been recently replaced.
The car needs the exhaust system replaced that goes to the manifold. The rear and "middle" have been replaced. The smell of exhaust was bothersome to me (smelled this plenty as a teenager....I'm over it). AC does not work....he thinks it's the compressor. In my limited time car drove pretty well. I can probably get original maintenance records from previous owner who lives in same town. The PO does not know for sure when belts were changed. If I continue to be interested I will have it inspected. I like the car, but am apprehensive of future costs. If this is really a problem for me, prehaps I am not "Porsche person". I am realistic that cars need repairs, but reading up on the problems Porsche's tend to have is unsettling. I am still mulling it over. If anyone know how much it would cost to fix the compressor and the exhaust I would appreciate that......one other thing. There is a "vacuum" sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel area. The PO says it is a motor or something.....said it was not a problem. Of course he was not bothered by the exhaust which was beginning to sting my eyes either, so who knows? Thanks again for any input.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Vacuum sound was probably the fuel pump. IMO, if you aren't ready to spend $2k/year on maintenance (doing your own work), you probably aren't ready for Porsche ownership. Also, you'd be better off, again IMO, buying a better maintained example for more money. In my firsthand experience, buying the $6k car will cost you another $6k, whereas the $10k car won't cost you any more.

-J

Quick Reply: Looking at 1986 944 turbo