Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally found a replacement dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005 | 08:30 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Default Finally found a replacement dashboard

After my break-in 2 years ago, when I had to ditch the new dash option after the insurance company refused to pay the £2000 for the dash alone (that, or write off the car!), I think i've finally found one! €400 including shipping from mainland europe. Now I can finally get the interior finished to almost how I want it! Just the lower a-pillar carpet panels to go now.....

Getting some pictures off the guy tomorrow just to make sure, but I know he's pretty reputable. Can't wait!

Sorry for the bandwidth, just got excited!!!!!
Old 03-21-2005 | 09:19 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Before you do that, check with 944 online. They have a recover service available. They also sell recovered dashes. I'm removing mine next week. Let me know, it needs to be recovered, but I'll sell it too you for a "fellow Rennlister" price, plus shipping. Send me a PM. the 944 online link is here: http://www.944online.com/cgi-local/A...944s+body-944s
Old 03-21-2005 | 09:25 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Cheers E. I'm in the UK, so shipping from the US on this is a bit prohibitive. Plus 944online want $595 plus two way shipping (for the core too). I thought of having it recovered in the UK, but no-one here that I can find has done one before. I guess 944Online will work out about $2-300 more. The one I found is an outright buy for that price. €250 plus €150 shipping. Porsche dealer is still quoting £2000+VAT, and they don't have any anyway. Just to wait for the pics to check on the infamous airvent cracking......
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:46 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Check the 928 forum for a guy who sanded, filled and reoated his and looks great. I think he has even intentionally left it out to judge the UV resistance. I'll see if I can find the title.
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:55 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Check "Dash Cracked? Here's How to Fix" by Weissach.
Old 03-22-2005 | 01:10 PM
JPR
Racer

Faced with the same problem I got a good local upholstering shop to redo the top portion of the dash in a suede-like material, called ultra suade. The effect is much the same as the dash finish in the old ferrari 288 GTO. The material wears like iron, provides no reflection on the windshild, and if and when it needs to be replaced, it is very simple to redo. The finish is so profesional it looks like OEM. I will take some pictures and post them. BTW is was cheaper than recovering with Just Dashes.

Cheers

Jpr
Old 03-22-2005 | 01:58 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pikey7
I thought of having it recovered in the UK, but no-one here that I can find has done one before.
I've seen a writeup in one of the UK-based Porsche mags about Southbound Motor Trimmers, the article was on full 911 interior restoration including the dash. They're also mentioned on one of the UK P-car sites. No webisite. See if they can price it out...
www.titanic.co.uk/Contacts/ContactList.htm
Old 03-22-2005 | 02:11 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm interested in seeing what this looks like.
How much did it cost you?

Originally Posted by JPR
Faced with the same problem I got a good local upholstering shop to redo the top portion of the dash in a suede-like material, called ultra suade. The effect is much the same as the dash finish in the old ferrari 288 GTO. The material wears like iron, provides no reflection on the windshild, and if and when it needs to be replaced, it is very simple to redo. The finish is so profesional it looks like OEM. I will take some pictures and post them. BTW is was cheaper than recovering with Just Dashes.

Cheers

Jpr
Old 03-22-2005 | 02:31 PM
cooter-1
Intermediate

Default re: dash replacement

Have you checked out this site:
http://justdashes.com/index_home.htm
I'm not sure about overseas shipping rates though.

Gary Coots
'87 951
Old 03-22-2005 | 02:36 PM
JPR
Racer

Rhesus,
I have not been able to take a picture on my finished dash yet but I took the idea from this saab dash. All the stiching is done in red thread. Only drawback is that I lost my defrost vents but I dont need them much in Miami.

Jpr

Last edited by JPR; 10-08-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2005 | 03:37 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Thanks guys. My problem is that the dash was pretty much ruined after some A-hole decided to stick a chisel through it to wreck the ignition lock. I had the dash lower covered in vinyl, but after that time, it starting to look very shabby. So at the moment, I prefer to go with a replacement that I know is good underneath, aswell as the foam being complete. If it has a couple of minor cracks, then there's a place around the corner from me that can repair that, but hey, if it's good, it's good!

I'll definately give Southbound a call in the morning though. You never know.....

Quick Reply: Finally found a replacement dashboard