Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

THAR SHE BLOWS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THAR SHE BLOWS!

Well then my clutch and possibly tranny went bye bye today. I was driving down a country road shifting fairly quick and then BOOM my clutch sinks ALL the way to the ground and does not come up. I turn the car off and the clutch is like a doorway just swinging down there with no resistence.... Cant shift into gear and a gigantic rattling sounds was coming from the rear of the car when that happend.... Hopefully i can get it towed to FURTMAIR and get it worked out. WEll thers 3k gone...

Later
Old 03-21-2005, 07:10 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Clutch master/slave cylinder failure. Possibly hose between the 2 as well. The rattling sound was probably trying to change gears when it failed, the clutch becomes stuck engaged, so it's like shifting without clutching. Tranny should be fine. Couple hundred bucks max.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:10 PM
icat
Race Car

Ouch. I feel your pain.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:22 PM
sean.
Advanced

It may not be as bad as it seems. Chances are just a master and slave cylinder are out. You won't be out 3 large if thats the case. Check it out...might get lucky.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Oh, i never knew the clutch master cilinder can just fail like that... pop and its gone. I mean i was in the middle of the shift when BOOOOM halfway through the clutch just flys to the floor at god knows what speeds, no resitence whats so ever. Then a horrible noise coming from the back and i think i was leaking some form of fluid after that.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the hose failed.
However, it could just as easily be the master or slave.

Sounds like you will be just fine.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Phew ok i was scared there for a second thought i would have to replace the clutch or tranny....
Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL

You've broken the clutch fork that disengages the clutch.

The part is expensive, but not as expensive as the labour to get to it.

No worries about the tranny, it's fine.

Dal.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:17 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm my clutch has been getting weaker and weaker lately...is it possible its just the fork. How would I tell the difference?

btw I have new slave/master cylinder in my car running ATE- so I know it aint that. I just thought it was my clutch slow giving way...it is after all rather old.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

No. If your cllutch is getting weaker (i.e. slipping) then it is not the clutch fork. The clutch fork only works on the throwout bearing to pull it away from the actual clutch. Our cars pull on the pressure plate spring diaphragm to disengage, versus some cars that push on it to disengage. The clutch fork usually snaps with age and fatigue. If you are replacing the clutch then it's a good idea to clean the clutch fork really well and check it for any cracks that start to form. If you see any cracks then it's a really good idea to replace it with a new one. The clutch fork arms also tend to wear down as the clutch is being used. Each time you press on the clutch the fork arms have to slow down and stop the throwout bearing from spinning. Even if you put high temp grease on the arms it will wash away over time. Typically you can expect to replace the clutch fork every second clutch job (unless you are really hard on your clutch and wear it out early).

The turbo clutch forks are notorious for cracking over time. To make the clutch forks clear the bigger throwout bearing on the turbo clutches Porsche actually took the NA clutch fork and machined the arms of it for clearance, thereby weakening it a bit more. It's still more than strong enough. Plus the fact that it's a cast piece doesn't help in the strength department.

Dal.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say, I've never known a clutch hydraulic system to fail as described above. Good call on the clutch fork.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Mine failed 2 weeks ago, exact same symptoms. Zero warning, just lost the clutch pedal. For me it was the hose that started to leak.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:29 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Ive had a clutch failure like that before, not on my 951 but its all the same. It was the flare on a metal line that just cracked a little bit while road racing and instantly had no clutch!
You shouldnt be in that big i would think!

Quick Reply: THAR SHE BLOWS!