HELP 951 NOT GOING INTO GEAR!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:00 PM
onefast944turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 951 NOT GOING INTO GEAR!!

Hey all,
So yeah i have a 87 944 turbo.. And not to long ago the car wouldnt go into 1st gea or reverse without shutting the car off and i had to start out from a roll in second and FORCING IT INTO GEAR. So i noticed the clutch pedal was losing pressure and sinking to the floor and not coming back up.. So just like any normal person would do that knows cars i replaced the clutch master and SLAVE(made sure i did a good job bleeding it).. So thats what i did.. now what???? I start the car and nothing, jsut the same as b4, but the car does go into 1st gear now but still you have to apply enough pressure.. SO NOW I"M MAD AS HELL
Only thing i can think of is a new clutch, what do you guys think? I would of thought if i needed a new clutch, it would of had signs of it slipping, or popping out of gear.. Just wondering if any other 951 owners have had this problem
Thank you guys if you can provide any help..
Old 03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I've had this problem in two different cars. In my 85 911, it turned out to be the shift forks inside the transmission. In my 67 firebird, it was the linkage running to the tranny. I also had the dreaded clutch plate spring failure on the 951, but that caused the clutch to be completely inoperable, at least in my car. Does it grind like the sycros are gone, or does it feel like something it in its way? Don't push too hard, you can end up bending more stuff than is already wrong. Wish I could be more help.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Fork and/or master cyl.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Before you go tearing into the clutch make sure you check the linkage on the transaxle. Mine came loose and it exhibited symptoms similar to your yours. Jack the rear of the car up, have someone move the shift lever and note the linkage that connects the shifter rod to the transaxle itself. It's a relatively easy fix, just have to get the screw lined up properly. Oh, and don't forget loc-tite...

HTH,

Greg
Old 03-20-2005, 10:58 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I would check to make sure the hydraulics are really working first. Bleeding them is difficult unless you use a pressure bleeder or similar tool. If the arm is moving, the hydraulics are working, and that would mean you probably have the standard clutch disc failure. Of course, the other suggestions should be investigated before you buy $700 worth of clutch parts and associated gaskets/hardware.

What happens is the small springs get fatigued and fall out of the disc and jamb between the flywheel or pressure plate and the clutch disc. This prevents full release of the clutch. Try holding the clutch pedal down, and with the car in first gear, start and stop the engine several times to see if that may dislodge them. Worked for a friend of mine when this happened to him. But, it was only a short time later that it completely locked up.

Unless you have lots of extra horsepower, just use a cup clutch instead of the standard factory unit. The original one in my car went 116k miles without a failure, but it worn to the rivets by that time.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

OP...this is what I found when I experienced the same symptoms that you describe.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
onefast944turbo
AutoX

Yeah honestly i just feel like its not an actually clutch disc problem.. It feels ljust like one of you described myvbe a linkage problem. It ust feels like I'm almost just missing the gear when i try to put it in, or the shifter is just not in the right place.. if that makes any sense to you guys...
Old 03-21-2005, 11:43 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

yea, that sounds more link linkage
Old 03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
jim944s2
Racer

I once got my '86 back from the shop where they'd worked on the transaxle, IIRC it almost wouldn't go into 1st, -really strange as I'd just had the tranny rebuilt. Apparently it was one bolt that was not tight that affected the linkage.

Quick Reply: HELP 951 NOT GOING INTO GEAR!!