Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Received my PC'd stuff. Update: Hes going to stiff me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 07:59 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Received my PC'd stuff. Update: Hes going to stiff me.

Ok, here is the story, I wish I had pics. I dropped all my 951 parts off. I had all the water pipes, little brackets, maf, bla bla in the engine PC'd black. Then I wanted my Calipers, intake mani, and cam tower done in a dark blue. I found was seemed to be a great place in the yellow pages, called the guy up, he seemed very nice. I took in my parts, picked out satin black and dark blue. My car is near black undershadow so I wanted something nearly black but still blue. I hate being extremely flashy but I wanted a tint of blue. So I saw all the patches and I picked dark blue, it was the darkest. Then, we start talking about price. He mentioned something like 90 dollars for all the stuff, you know, just saying that could be it. So I figured under 200 and I would be happy. Then he mentions it taking about a week to get done. He was also polishing the porsche on the calipers and cam tower. And clear coating. So first week goes by, second week, and finally the third week, I get the call to come pick them up. I am a patient person, even when my car is waiting on those parts to get running for spring. He also said he sandblasted everything, can you sandblast aluminum? O well, I didn't mind that much. Well today I show up to a 370 dollar bill and my baby blue colored parts. I was furious. How does this bill compare to what you guys have paid? Also, what should I do when my manifold, calipers and cam tower look like the color a kid would paint his honda civics rear drums. What should I do, I just walked out of that place, and didn't say anything to the guy, I think he was a little confused . But I was so angry I knew I wouldn't be able to talk to him civilized. So anyway, how is that price, was I mislead to begin with? And can you sandblast alumnium? What should I do? He also mentioned he couldn't polish the porsche script very well because it had some chips in it? WTF. Any advice would be awesome, thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by 9fitty1; 03-15-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 times the estimate???? That's a little goofy.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the price is way too high. But regardless of that, you didn't recieve what you ordered, why would you pay at all? It's the business's resposibility to do the job right, you wouldn't pay a body shop that painted your car the wrong color, would you?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:28 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by special tool
4 times the estimate???? That's a little goofy.
Yeah thats why I just kinda walked out. I couldn't handle it.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You need to go back calm and explain the situation. I mean if you didnt even pick that color hes got to do it again. FWIW - I paid 280 to have 4 wheels and 4 centercaps beadblasted+powdercoated/cleared...
Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it easy.
First step, ask for justification on the cost. It's entirely possible there is a justified reason (Well, there isn't really, but go in there thinking there is, it makes it a bit easier to stay calm) for the cost increase.
Next, ask to see the color samples you looked at before, and place them beside your powdercoated pieces, make absolutely sure that it doesn't match.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Its easy enough for him to repowder coat the stuff in the right color, so you could start there. Not sure what you can do on the cost, unless you have it in writing.

I just set myself up to do my own powdercoating at home, and the total cost for everything (the gun set up, a sandblasting cabinet, an oven to bake it in, and 4 lbs of different powders) cost me less than $250. I got it from Columbia COatings, and talked with Brian, he's a great guy. Now, lets see if I can do anything with it! lol

Regards,
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go back now that you have calmed down and tell him no way.
Tell him to fix it at your original price. If he gives you lip, pay by a check,
take your parts then stop payment on the check and let him sue you.
I have no patience for poor service.
I had a small dent on my fender, the body shop said they could pull
the dent and respray the fender to match. The match was horrid and
they damaged the hood in the process. They stripped the hood down to bare metal,
primed and painted the whole front end to get the match right.
Then they tried to jack the price up for the 'extra' work.
No way...I held my ground and ended up with a full front end respray for $850.
Dont get me wrong...I'll gladly pay for quality. but not someone's screw up.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you took the stuff, I assume you already paid. Go back and approach him calmly and respectfully, and say that you will pay the original price if he corrects his mistake and repaints the parts as agreed. If he refuses, tell him that you will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and either stop payment if it's a check, or report it as fraud to your credit card company, which will effectively stop payment. Also threaten to report him to the state Attorney General's office, in KS at least they are very effective at resolving cases of consumer fraud. Before taking anything back, take pictures of everything, and be sure to save anything that could be used as documentation. If he refuses to resolve the situation, tell him that not only will you not pay, but you will sue him with the cost to repair the parts. DO NOT let him win, hold your ground, just like Andrew said. In the end, you will get resolution.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure this is just me.
What has happened to Customer Service?
What has happened to pride in workmanship?

Where do these service/product providers get the idea that they can get away with these loose rules...and when you try to give them the benefit of the doubt they take that benefit and stick it up your....then ask you to pay for more for it.

Sorry I seem to deal with this sort of stuff on a daily basis...with just about everything.

Ok, that should last until tomorrow. Bottom line. Get what you paid for...I mean you took the time to pick the colors and get it done right, then he just blows off all that time you spent throws some sand at it and "some" blue they had too much stock of! ..oh yeah and we could not do the raised Porsche script because...well it was lunch time....Total disrespect!

Sorry for the rant-thanks for listening.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

One thing to note about PC, when using colors other than base colors (red, black, white) and certain greys, they never look anything close to the sample. After having numerous parts done in a ton of colors I dont think any of them (especially blues) were all that close to the sample.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If that's the case, it sure doesn't seem right that they would represent the sample as what the finished product would look like. That's just setting up for an unhappy customer.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I agree, I should have been told the color was way off. It looks almost black as I said but then when I had it done, it looked almost baby blue. There is no way that is going on my car, lol. I have not taken the parts or paid. I'm going in tomorrow to bitch. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They probably couldn't polish the Porsche script because of the pitting from sandblasting.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Just a suggestion, If and when you go back, I would tell him you want to compare the color sample that you asked him to use on the car .. hold the sample and after this discussion if it fails to go your way, take a piece of the sample with you. Then file a claim at small claims court ( limit is now like $4500 ) and bring the sample with you. Unless the judge is Stevie Wonder they will be able to see how off the color is
I wish you the best of luck
regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Received my PC'd stuff. Update: Hes going to stiff me.