Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Received my PC'd stuff. Update: Hes going to stiff me.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
They probably couldn't polish the Porsche script because of the pitting from sandblasting.
I bet that was it also. I am, ugh, ok, goodnight. Tomorrow will be a good day.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Post pics mate! I would be keen to see their effort. Oh and you took the shaft on the price. It costs peanuts to powder coat. I suspect they were waiting to fit you in a batch with a like colour.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Matt H
Race Director

It looks almost black as I said but then when I had it done, it looked almost baby blue
This is probably a case of wrong color then. The colors tend to be off but not by that much.

Matt - have you ever painted a house? If so you know that the color on the can is rarely the color on the wall with the exception of white.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's bull. If your final cost is going to end up being more than 10% off the estimate, most times they're supposed to call you before proceeding. This is one of the most bogus and unscrupulous things that's done by various shops and it constantly pisses me off to hear about it. There's NO reason for it other than "well, the guy needs his parts back, so let's gouge him for it". It's bunk, pure and simple. You need to tell them (the manager, specificaly) that if there are complications or problems, you expect a phone call BEFORE work is done if it will cause the final cost to deviate by more than 10% of the estimate. Otherwise, what's the purpose of the estimate?

Don't be afraid to either (1) demand they do the work the way it was agreed upon - for the cost agreed upon (it's actually a legal contract if you get right down to it), or (2) turn on your heels and walk out. Seriously. Tell 'em "keep the sh*t" for that price. Yes you'll be without the parts, but you can probably pick up decent used ones for that price.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:38 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blasting (bead or sand) should NOT be done on some parts. I dont know if your cam tower was completely apart but even a tiny amout of grit can destroy a motor. Also the normal blasting media is bead when dealing with aluminum. Just make sure they didn't destory your cam tower by contaminating it.
Good luck and dont lose your head, just make a demand and stick with it.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, actually, before I returned to school I was managing a lumberyard, before that I spent seven years in residential remodeling. If the paint isn't damn close to a sample, either you haven't given it enough coats, or the paint wasn't mixed correctly. Sure, if you're putting white on over brown, it's going to take a while, but with the proper amount of work it can be done. Where this guy went wrong though was by not informing his customer ahead of time that the finished product would be quite different from the sample, which obviously not done. Certainly this wasn't the first time he had powder coated something, so he knew what kind of results he would get.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Helstrm
Pro

If he did bead blast the parts. (I bead blast just about everything before coating them) Make sure the parts were cleaned inside and out then blown off. If you can run something inside the parts and make sure there is no grit. Polishing the script is easy. Good luck with everything. Did he use standard powder on your brakes? Most powder ony handles about 350 degrees. It bakes at 400 and brakes run a lot hotter than that under heavy load.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Matt, my point was there are a lot of factors that can determine color. In this case, I think they just shot the wrong one.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt H
Matt, my point was there are a lot of factors that can determine color. In this case, I think they just shot the wrong one.
I agree. Dark blue is dark blue.. Might not come out like the sample but it will still be dark blue. Baby blue powder is babyblue even before it is baked.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:19 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

After reading all of this I am very ready to go have a talk with him. Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how it goes. And I guess the blue isn't totally baby blue but it is lighter than royal blue. At any rate, it is not what I wanted or even close.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:49 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Helstrm
Did he use standard powder on your brakes? Most powder ony handles about 350 degrees. It bakes at 400 and brakes run a lot hotter than that under heavy load.
Is there some kind of special coating to use on parts that will see high temps like calipers? Just curious as many people seem to PC brakes. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Yep, high temp powder
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks Matt, didnt have a clue.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

What kind of temps would that withstand ?
I was told the reg powder coating would take 300 give or take 25 degrees ??
Regards
Ed
Old 03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Ok, well! I just spoke with him. He is going to stiff my ace. Not doing anything. He said he didn't damage the cam tower with the sandblasting. He also said that he did the color I choose. But it looks darker on paper. Then he also said that the price is cheaper than anyones around here. So whatever, I'm going to pay out the ace for the stuff, get it back home and who knows what I'm going to do. All I know is this sets me back at least another 2 weeks on my car which is also being a difficult.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Received my PC'd stuff. Update: Hes going to stiff me.