Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Feeler: Be Cool! (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/191161-feeler-be-cool.html)

Bill 03-14-2005 09:39 PM

Well, the numbers are changing due to the fact that the Turbo radiator is longer than the NA radiator. This means that the NA guys that committed, unfortunately have to drop out because I only sent a Turbo radiator to Griffin. But, the good news is that more turbo guys are on board. Heres the latest count:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951

So we are back to 9 and need 1 more turbo guy/gal.

Tom M'Guinn 03-14-2005 09:49 PM

Nine other people can't be wrong. Count me in at $365.

herrtzeber 03-14-2005 09:49 PM

mmm... ehhhh
ok! count me in too you guys.

Bill 03-14-2005 09:50 PM

Anyone know Jeremy Himsel? He expressed interest in an earlier post of mine.

herrtzeber 03-14-2005 09:51 PM

uhoh, does that mean i missed out?
damn my indecisiveness (sp)

Bill 03-14-2005 09:56 PM

uhoh, does that mean i missed out?
No....not yet. The group buy has not been set-up yet and no time limits have been applied. Also we are not limited to 10, the more the merry'er.

Dare I say, "COOL" we are back to the magic number of 10! (I am assuming the list below are all in, speak up if you are not).

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber

Way to go guys! Now all we need is a blessing from John D and I can proceed with the details with Griffin. I thing the best method would be to set up a paypal direct with Griffin and have them ship direct to the individual.

Me personally, I just want the best radiator I can get for my car, and now thanks to all you guys, it looks like we are going to be able to do this for a pretty fair price. Thanks guys!

Bill 03-14-2005 10:27 PM

From the 944 NA board

That is a good deal at $365. I bought the copper & brass rad that Perfromance Products has been selling for 10 years or so. It's been in my car for 8 years with no trouble at all, but was $400 back then! I was careful to be sure it was isolated electrically because of electrolysis concerns (aluminum being anodic to both copper and brass). I said the hell with it after the 3rd aluminum/plastic unit went bad (cracks in the plastic tank at the crimp). If I didn't have this already, I'd certainly be in on this group buy.
Great testimony Mike C.

This was my reasoning which prompted me to contact Griffin. And my efforts to get them interested in making their product for our beloved 944's. Griffins product will dissipate heat much better though, as aluminum conducts heat better than copper does.

Dan87951 03-14-2005 10:33 PM

We might be able to get 15 people? Even more of a discount?.. worth a shot..

Bill 03-14-2005 10:40 PM

Dan,

When I get to my own personal goal of Friday 3/18 for an order, I will negotiate with that count for final pricing.

For turbo radiators, the count currently stands at 11:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber
simmomi

Rob 3 03-14-2005 11:35 PM

I don't really need one either, BUT the griffins are really good, and if its the same dimensionally, I'll be there as well. I just KNOW that if I pass it up, sure as the sun rises I'll need one. Besides, anything to keep it cooler here in SoCal. Besides, I think I paid almost that much for a used alum. rad for my Formula Ford 7 years ago.

Jon Moeller 03-14-2005 11:56 PM

I'm in, as well.
-Jon

Bill 03-15-2005 02:01 PM

GROUP BUY IS ON!

Just got a warm approval from John D thanking me for helping out fellow rennlisters. I want to say thanks to you guys, because I had planned on spending the $575, now I will also save a bundle. So it is a go! I will contact Griffin on this Friday 3/18 and work out the details for the order. What that means is, all that have not spoken up for this group buy, Friday 8am pacific time will be the cut off.

16 Members have committed so far, for a turbo radiator:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber
simmomi
jake944cs
yoyoguy2
rob3
jon moeller
Sam Lin

Sam Lin 03-15-2005 02:08 PM

Sure, I'll bite - put me on the list.

Sam

Bill 03-15-2005 02:35 PM

Can I get some feed back?

Since I am the one who opened my big mouth, I feel that I am responsible for everyones satisfaction on this group buy.

I have been thinking about how I can assure that everyone is happy. My first and most important decision to assure this, was to contact a reputable source. Griffin is certainly that. Good product = satisfaction. They also offer a two year guarantee, second plus.

Now to address fit. I checked two sources to confirm that all year turbo cars use the same radiator. The Porsche factory Parts & Technical Reference Catalog 1999 Edition (my bible) gives only 1 part number #951 106 031 50 for all years. Check one. Then someone on the rennlist looked on his PET and found part #951 106 031 02 for the early turbos. I called my friend who is a Porsche certified parts tech and works at my local Porsche dealership parts counter, and he said that part #02 was a very old part number, that was superceed with part #50. Again only one radiator for all year turbos. Check two. Then I sent Griffin my own factory radiator from my 86 turbo, with the temp sensor and rubber grommets attached as a template.

At this point, I feel confident that what we get from Griffin will be a direct bolt-in replacement. But as a final step, I can ask Griffin to make the prototype and send it to me first, so I can verify that everything is fine before the main production run is made. What do you guys think? I do not know how pressed for this product you all are. Is an extra week or so worth the wait, so I can personally quality control this buy?

Please feel free to comment or give ideas as to how you all would like to see this go down. I know some of you have good experience on group buys.

Dan87951 03-15-2005 02:38 PM

Bill,
I would rather have them send you the prototype to verfiy its fits perfectly. I'm in no rush for mine. Looks like we have 16 people does that count as even more of a discount?