Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

88 & 89 turbo S. What's the difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 07:25 PM
944Bill
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 & 89 turbo S. What's the difference

I am looking to trade my 1989 944 for a 88 or 89 944 turbo S. What is the difference between the two model years?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:45 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Rennlist!

Clark's Garage is a valuable resource that can answer many of your questions. The search feature hear on Rennlist is also very helpful. Your question may have been answered in previous threads.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/951faq.htm
Old 03-12-2005, 10:38 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The 89 turbo is not designated a Turbo S, just Turbo. It is the same as the 88 Turbo S, maybe a couple minor differences but nothing I'm aware of and I own an 88 951S so have more than a passing interest. Might be some minor differences like the rear hatch release cable fittings, etc., all minor stuff.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

944Bill
I think the primary differences were the options
For example, all TS have a split rear seat some 89's don't
It's stuff like that ....
There were no options on the TS except an audio upgrade ...
The car really had every option that Porsche had at the time and some that the other Porsches didn't have yet.
One of the first cars to have dual front air bags as standard.
The car was supposed to have even heated seats ( as it says in the original 4 page fold out flyer )
But none that I know of in the US had them as standard...
Hope that helps
regards
Ed
Old 03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

FWIW, my "new" 89 Turbo arrived from Altanta yesterday afternoon. The window sticker was $47,700 or so, including destination charge with a base price of $45.5K. Yes, virtually every factory option relating to performance including M030 (sport suspension) and 220 (externally cooled LSD with hardened bits) was standard equipment it appears. Only paid options were metaflake gold paint and partial leather seats on this car. This particular car has been upgraded to 968 M030 with rear factory coil overs and bigger bars.

I'll start a thread about the new car when I get some glam pix But for starters I'm kinda amazed at how different it feels from my 944 NA autocrosser. Aside from the obvious rush of acceleration on boost, the car feels wider and bigger, maybe because my NA has a smaller diameter Momo Monte Carlo wheel and early front offsets. Turn-in on the Turbo is not as go-kart quick as the heavily cambered NA either. NA has also shed bumper and AC weight from the nose.

I paid $13,350, splitting the cost of a belt and front seal job with the seller who looks mysteriously like my brother. Wait a minute, it IS my brother! OK, that explains why he was willing to drive the car from Atlanta on 032's with a hatch full records and spares. Car has 65K on the odo and records since new except for a lapse between 92 and 99.

What a car the Turbo S is! Effortless muscle on boost. Going 55? Want to go 100? Just squeeze and it get ready for the jump into hyperspace. Feels like a much bigger car at first blush than the NA, but I've only gotten one hour behind the wheel so far. More to come today
Old 03-13-2005, 04:05 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Let's see here .... my 88 951S has a total window sticker of $49,842. That was a bunch of money back in 1988, heck it is still a lot of money.

But the cars went for well under sticker price. There was the October 1987 stock market crash in the USA and high end cars didn't move so fast. There was a dealer in Denver, or some place west, that still had a new 88 TS sitting on the lot after 2 years! The Porsche dealer my car came from went belly up as a result.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Up early today Dave! I hope you stop by the geeragemahal to show off the new baby. Don't let the salt on the roads bother you...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that they are both extremely fun to drive!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:38 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

New car is in hand! Crazy weekend, dodging weather on the R compounds during delivery. Brother made to Cumberland from Altanta in 10 hours and 7 minutes....new family record Got the tires swapped to street skins, found out how badly the car needs aligned, sporting positive camber on the right front

Wayyyyyyy fast. Turbo lag is just a slight pause that allows me to brace myself, as what follows is brand new to an NA owner!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:48 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

PS, Steve. We did stop by briefly Saturday PM right before dark. Your truck was gone. Your shop radio was on and the shop light was under the engine bay of your Turbo S, but seeing no humans and not wishing to disturb the family unit, we went on to look for more roads without salt.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM
DivineE
Racer

Oh yes. Reading your posts reminds me of the first time I got into the turbo after driving a lux!! I simply couldn't believe it was the same engine Great fun and god I love 3rd gear for overtaking!! My only word of caution would be be weary of sitting in 3rd at 3500rpm when cornering! During my first week in my first ever turbo I got a quick reminder. I was only crusing changed down from fourth to third for a downhill bend (like I used to in the lux) and I must have subconsciously added a little throttle after the apex...WOW massive oversteer that was enough to wake me up sharply!! Good job I had put in the practise time whilst exiting roundabouts in the lux

Ben
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

When diving stock to stock....944na vs 951ts. is like comparing a horse drawn carriage to a jet plane ...
Good luck ... BTW there are few thinks scarier than driving in the rain on R compounds in that car ....
DevineE
I had a similar problem at summit pt. on a down hill left hander except I was in 2nd and I swapped ends ... all was fine except for the embarrassment
Regards
Ed
Old 03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

What fun lays ahead Brother Scott did a yoeman's job shuttling the car to Maryland. He watched the weather very closely...bolted Atlanta at 5 AM and basically timed the run so he was behind the weather all the way with Snow to his West, rain to his East and just a stray shower or flurry over him, all the way from Georgia to Maryland. Lucky also that the cool day didn't cook too much rubber off to R-Compounds. The Two Bar Boost Gods were smiling.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang, I must have just missed you. I went to the shop with a box of parts to run though the parts washer. The door was open...you should have left me a nasty note! I'm getting ready to yank out the engine so I can go over everything. Still want to see the baby!
Old 03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

I don't know of any differences other than options that would make either one more desirable than the other, unless you consider the collector valvue of a Siver Rose. I think the '88s still had the hood insulation, '89s don't.

Quick Reply: 88 & 89 turbo S. What's the difference