Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What to do with the S2 LSD Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005 | 11:37 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Default What to do with the S2 LSD Gearbox

Today I have bought a S2 engine with transaxle and LSD gearbox. The engine will be overhauled in the next couple of months and when finished will be put in a 924 (Carrera GT look). The 924 will be used for track days, slalom competitions AND occasionally normal road use.

At the moment my daily driver is a 944 Turbo with app. 300 hp with a non LSD gearbox. When the stock turbo brakes down I will replace it with a turbo that produces some serious hp.

I know that the S2 gearbox will fit without any trouble under my 944 Turbo. The top speed will decrease but 240 kph will be possible. The S2 gearbox doesn't have the extra gearbox oil cooling the turbo gearbox has.

Will the S2 engine with the Turbo gearbox in a stripped down 924 perform well?

In short:
1. Will the 924 with S2 engine and turbo gearbox perform?
2. Will I get into trouble putting the S2 LSD gearbox without oil cooler under the 944 Turbo?

I know it is possible to swap the diffs, but then both gearboxes have to be realigned and $$$ have to be spent.
Old 03-12-2005 | 12:04 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

You can always put a tranny cooler on it as well. It depends what you want to do with the car. If you are going to race, I would put a cooler on it. If it more of just a street car, I won't worry about it. I don't have any experience, so keep that in mind as well, just I think a tranny cooler on a street car is a little over kill unless you push it ALL the time.
Old 03-12-2005 | 05:08 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Give it to me for the price of shipping.

But really, you will have more power with the S2 engine, it will be faster in your 924 with the turbo tranny but don't you want to maximize the acceleration? I would stick with the S2 tranny with the S2 engine just because I would want the fastest car I could have.
Old 03-12-2005 | 08:25 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Adding a cooler requires changing the side plate for one with a pump in it. At that point, I'd think you should really reset the R&P clearence because the side plate holds the bearings for one side of the diff.

West

Quick Reply: What to do with the S2 LSD Gearbox