Just installed Tial Wastegate, REALLY bad vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Tial Wastegate, REALLY bad vacuum leak

Hey guys,

I just installed a tial 38mm wastegate, and disconnected the venturi tubes from the IC Pipe and J-Boot as instructed at tech-session.com, and now when I start the car, it barely starts and idles really hard at first with an initial vacuum reading of 8" or so (I'm not letting it warm up yet). A vacuum leak of this magnitude would have to be caused after the throttle plate, no?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you plug everything that you disconnected??

The answer to your question is no. You cannot have a leak between sensor and throttle plate in an AFM or MAF car.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

I plugged the hose going into the J-Boot, I also am using the IC Pipe as my boost source (plugs into a t-connecter inbetween wastegate and boost controller). I'm out in the garage right now working on it, and I just discovered that I now have an enourmous fuel leak right at the fuel damper! Gah, problem after problem...

I'll check to make sure that the hoses are plugged into the wastegate properly... All vacuum lines appear to be connected properly... is there anything besides the two hoses up front (IC pipe and J-Boot)that one needs to rearrange when installing a dual-port wastegate with an MBC?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the short rubber hose off of the fuel rail?

Have you plugged both the cycle valve return AND the crank vent - since you have removed the venturi?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:35 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Ah, I haven't plugged the crank vent.. I'm guessing thats the hoze that goes to the larger metal tube? What exactly would I use to plug something that large?

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the short rubber hose... I'm pretty sure that the leak is coming from the crimp on the large fuel line going into the fuel damper. I'm probably going to order the hoses from Lindsey.

Quick Reply: Just installed Tial Wastegate, REALLY bad vacuum leak