Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: how long befor the FIA completly screws up F1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised nobody addressed why the FIA changed the aero rules for this season... to create passing.

Aside from Coultard's pass at the start, and Villenueve duking it out this race had almost no passing. I don't think the Ferrari's are that slow, nor do I think Schumacher wanted to loaf around in 13th... but it is dumb as hell when you can't even pass backmarkers unless they wave you by off-line.

What they should do is go back to wide chassis, create enough of a vacuum behind the diffuser so you can actually pass. The extra drag should also slow down the cars. The one-tire rule would work allor better with cars that can pass, there are very few to no marbles off line now.

I also hate the stupid single lap qualifying in some given order... they should go back to the open sessions... I loved it when you had the quickest cars on track in the final minute trying to lay the hammer down. This isn't NASCAR, this isn't an oval, bring back the old qualifying format.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
pikey7
Drifting

I think it's great. In some ways.....

The FIA in it's infinite wisdom have actually found something that has the potential to open up the championship a bit more. Certainly I expected MS to run a bit harder as he had his engine changed over the weekend anyway, had his 10 place penalty, and so even if he blew up again, he would not have ben relegated another 10 places in Malaysia (as I understand it!). He couldn't though. Mmmmmm. Makes you think. Short of Jordan and Minardi, He couldn't overtake anyone. Even Heidfeld!

The tyre rules will no doubt get some clarification in the next couple of races. On the ITV coverage, Martin Brundle was totally confused as to what was deemed as "dangerous" wear on a tyre, and so I guess most of the teams will be too. I mean why not just run really really hard, wear the tyre, and change it. The question is whether the wear will pass the FIA test. whatever that is!

As to the breakaway F1, that has nothing to do with the updated regs, just to do with the fact the teams want more money! And it's not just "a UK team", It's everone except Ferrari.

I enjoyed the weekend. Qualifying more than the race, as it seems that the rule changes haven't improved overtaking chances at all, But certainly as we all get more used to it, the off-track tactics become very interesting.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how long befor the FIA completly screws up F1
Too late. This weekends race was a boring as I have ever seen. I think I can remember one pass the entire race.

like the new rule of no tire changes, someone fast and ragged early might run out of tires toward the end.
Doesnt matter. Both BS and Michelin have incredible engineers. No one's tires were going off. Not one driver complained about it. They have already reached a point where the tire is good the whole race. P.S. it save ZERO dollarsfor the teams, neither BS nor Michelin charge for their tires, they are leased to the teams.

You can retire a car at any time for any reason. I cant wait until they have a 8 car field because of this dumbass rule.

Joe - if you are going to Indy for the race we will have to meet up, I will be there along with a number of other listers. I have to warn you, it is an awful road course.

The Ferarri's are still using the F2004 chassis and engine. If they were that competitive with last years throw aways imagine when they are running the F2005.

Bah, **** on FIA, they took away slicks, they took away turbos, they take away anything to make the sport fast (there is irony)! Danica is in IRL, NASCAR is becoming more interesting, and my mullet is starting to need a trim.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPD47
Last I checked 15th isnt points, IIRC.
My friend , where are you coming up with 15th ? Unless I had a total brainfade MS beat lil'Kim with his last pitstop and the postions were 7 klien 8 MS 9 NH and 10 KR before the crash with NH otherwise KR would have never made into the points.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 PM
951power

One of the better F1 races in the last years, several more passes than average for earlier years.. Alonzo/Barichello drove from 13th/11 to 3rd/2nd.. ( some position caught during pit-stop) but anyway...

And New rules regarding aerodynamic gave Ferrari a disadvantage in using the old car and not the 2005 mod. Ferrari has announced that they will accelerate testing of the new car, and hope to use it in a race or two.
Also shame on Ferrari as the only team not letting the minardi cars run with old setup. Althogh a court in Australia decided that Minardi could run, the team decided to alter the cars. Both Minardi cars where basically out of the race because of this.

"Bah, **** on FIA, they took away slicks, they took away turbos, they take away anything to make the sport fast (there is irony)! Danica is in IRL, NASCAR is becoming more interesting, and my mullet is starting to need a trim.
"

People was getting killed.. 1200hp in 700kg do that. .. same as WRC in the late 80`s ..
Another aspect of the regulations is to make the sport more interesting. More teams competing and limitations on the cars would make it easier for the best driver to win races , and not necessary the team with biggest funding . Both Toyota And Ferrari have a budget over 380 million $ every year.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:18 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Kelly Chiu,

That must be the joke of the day , Villeneuve " duking it out" , yeah the rolling roadblock, does that mean starting from 4th and ending up in 13th when on top of it his teammate was on a one stopper(= heavy) , started from the back,average lap was 1/2 sec faster than Villeloose and finished 10th ?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 PM
special tool
Banned

Villeneuve is a punk - is there a better description of a punk????
Old 03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
They tell you that all these rules are done to control costs.

But isn't the appeal for F1 that it is the pinacle of automotive design and innovation. How can you limit costs and still be innovative and on the cutting edge of design.
Because they have to find new ways to stay ahead when they change the rules, and it gives others a chance to catch up.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 PM
AL951
Racer

I think we all are coming to conclusions to soon. This was the first race. Maybe we should wait a couple of races
Old 03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was suprised by the team strategies this year, and yes I am against the engine rule, it cause too much BS, rather than racing. I like the tire rule for the face that it makes the drivers have to know when to push it. I myself have looked at tickets for Indy, anybody else going to the US GP?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

OK first off:
1- schumacher ended up in the gravel... With the no tire change rule he was screwed on the fact that gravel would be stuck in his 2000$ tires.
2- The crash damaged his car enough that they felt it would make since to take him out
3- The crash allowed him to put a new motor in for the next race

But i do not like what is going on this year will all the new regulations and the fact that only a certain amount (not very much) down force is a lowed this year.

BUT F1 is just fine compared to FIA World Rally this year... That sport has gone to hell which kind of sucks cause it was one of my favorite racing sports to watch...

-Ian
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Super Dave
Pro

OK just did a PVR race review
MS in 8th
NH in 9th
Lil Kim in 10th at the time of the crash
After MS got shoved back on the track he was running hard but then started to slow, no doubt after talking to his race enginer and deciding to use the RULES LOOP HOLE (rules loop hole, does this really belong in racing?) and to get the fresh motor.

Now with only one position from possibly scoring 1 point for eighth would MS normally quit? I don't think so. Would he have lost a position or two to come in for a safety check? Probably.

Maybe I am just wining about the new rules. Maybe not.
I do miss the excitement of the pits when the thrill of the tire change though.
There will really be something of a miss not watching Ferrari do there tire change practice from THREE FEET!!! during the pit walk about on June 16th.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People was getting killed.. 1200hp in 700kg do that. .. same as WRC in the late 80`s ..
HP is irrelevant to death. Striking a wall head on at 210-vs 200 isnt going to make any difference. The rules are in place to make "other" teams competitive, which is not the spirit of F-1. Technological testbed is the spirit of F-1. You have to pay to play. For years, teams other than Ferrari were winning.

Another aspect of the regulations is to make the sport more interesting.
If this weeks race was "more interesting" then I am done with F-1. You could have slept through the entire race and missed nothing.
More teams competing and limitations on the cars would make it easier for the best driver to win races ,
You have just made the argument for restrictor plate racing and NASCAR rules.

Chris, a bunch of us go. Last year I met Jackie Stewart! I will be there again this year.

1- schumacher ended up in the gravel... With the no tire change rule he was screwed on the fact that gravel would be stuck in his 2000$ tires.
1. If the tires were damaged they could have changed them
2. They are worth WELL more than 2K but that is irrelevant F-1 teams do not pay for tires. They are "leased" to the team for the duration of the race. Coverage on the telecast and drivers apparel etc. is the "lease payment." In fact, in most race circuits the tire manufacturers pay the race teams.

Dave, you arent missing anything, the new rules are crap. I am sure we will all get used to them because that is what we do but I have to say, if the races dont get a lot more interesting, I wont be watching. We used to joke that NASCAR was boring but lets be honest, the entertainment value of the latest F-1 race was no more than watching a mens water polo match.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Super Dave
Pro

Matt
David Hobbs did say "that there would not be a lot of passing on this track" during the PORSCHE track map over view.
There will be more passing in Malaysia.
All I know is I will be back to Indy this year because you never know when the FIA might ban the AWESOME SOUNDING, HIGH REVING V-10s!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:45 PM
951power

HP is irrelevant to death. Striking a wall head on at 210-vs 200 isnt going to make any difference. .
Read up on some history man... There is a big difference in F1 cars today and in the late 80`s..

The rules are in place to make "other" teams competitive, which is not the spirit of F-1. Technological testbed is the spirit of F-1. You have to pay to play. For years, teams other than Ferrari were winning
Yes .. New sponsor rules changed F1, Cigarette and alcohol comersial were banned..

But is really the spirit of F1 to be a testbed for new inovation and not a sport?
How would F1 be if only Ferrari and Toyota were competing? More teams competing will make it more interesting

If this weeks race was "more interesting" then I am done with F-1. You could have slept through the entire race and missed nothing.
Have you even watched F1 earlier seasons?

You have just made the argument for restrictor plate racing and NASCAR rules.
Only thing that makes NASCAR worth watching are the crashes, otherwise I think it would be more interesting to watch the gras grow

Quick Reply: OT: how long befor the FIA completly screws up F1?