944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upgrading exhaust, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Upgrading exhaust, need opinions.

Hey, I'm looking into exhaust upgrades, from the header all the way back. My current header seems to be cracked, so instead of just fixing it, I'm going to upgrade. I've been doing some reading in magazines and online, and so forth. From what I've read, SFRs header system seems like a good one to go with. European car used it in their car, but said it affects torque. When upgrading exhaust, what all do I need to consider. Will I need to upgrad or change something else to compensate for what the headers will do to the exhaust flow? Are there any specific manufacturers that make a good unit at a lower price? I'm not exactly looking for a stock replacement, I plan on tracking the car when I finally get to California and want what would be best for D.E.s and track events. Thanks!

-Darwin
Old 03-06-2005, 11:40 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with the SFR system. The fit and finish are top notch.
The turbo spools up much quicker.
Tim is very easy to deal with and usually cuts me a good deal.
I've ordered the stage 1 header (on sale) but have no experience with it.
I thought European Car said it increased power? Did they saying that it will
have an adverse affect on torque?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Darwantae951

Hmmm...I have that issue, let me go back and read it!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do SFR complete, LR complete. Lindsey is now carrying some items from Broadfoot racing. The only limiting (if it applies) is your budget.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Darwantae951

Ok, I was reading and it looks like they saw a decrease in power, with an increase in torque, but thats with the B&B headers. Their goal was to keep torque and increase power with the SFR unit. But what must I modify to keep my numbers up? as of right now I have a Borla cat-back, but I'm not sure how old it is. I'm thinking of a lindsey 3 in. exhaust, but not sure yet. Mainly just looking into the headers right now.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

The headers in our cars are actually really good. I read that same issue and I don't think it would be worth it to spend more then a stock header for it. The power kind of change in the whole rpm range, higher in some areas and lower in others but nothing big or even that much, only a couple hp/tq. As far as exhaust system, with a turbo s I would go with a 3" without a cat (if possible) and a free flowing muffler.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:22 PM
TurboTim
Banned

I should clarify a few things.Our stage 1 and stage 2 headers add power and torqueover the entire rpms band are we will refund your money! The stock headers are not very good! If you have looked at how they merge their pipes together, it is not ideal by any means.This has a huge impact on whether a header is good or not.This is why we use merge collectors for all the headers we build for Porsche cars.This is why we picked up horsepower and torque throughout the rpm range.

I will get into more specifics......The stage 1 header is designed as a stock replacement.It bolts to the stock crossover and fits very nicely.It uses two merge collectors to collect the exhaust pulses which helps spool-up times(typically 200-400 rpms sooner).This header is known as a tri-Y header and this tri-Y design is widely used by alot of car manufactuters because it helps to deliver low-end torque.However it is not ideal for top-end power.The good news is that if you take this design and optimize it, like we did,then you will pick up horsepower and torque.If your ultimate goal is to make over 400 at the wheels at 1 bar out of your 2.5L then I sould suggest our stage 2 header.

The stage 2 header is a true equal length 4 into 1 design.This header is designed to deliver the broadest torque and power band possible! It has exceptional flow on the top end which promotes big horsepower gains.European car picked up about 30 WHP from this header.The most important thing when looking for a 4 into 1 header is to be sure it is equal length! The equal length pipes prevent reversion in the exhaust ports.Reversion is bad for performance.The key to building a 4 into 1 header is too keep those legths equal! Other companies offer a 4 into 1 header but it is not equal length.Since it is not equal length, you would be better off saving some money and buying one of our stage 1 headers will perform just as well.Take care.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

So, how much does your stage one give as far as a hp/tq? How would it (stage I) hold up with 1 bar of boost on it??
Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tim, can you shed any information on performance gains for your 968 headers?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a vote for Fabspeed. I'm running their 3" stainless exhaust, turbo back, and the sound is fantastic. Deep and throaty, and not too loud. Check Fabspeed's website for sound bites.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike1982
So, how much does your stage one give as far as a hp/tq? How would it (stage I) hold up with 1 bar of boost on it??

Milledge got 10 horsepower and I beleive 15 ft/lbs withthe stage 1 headers.The headers canwithstand any kind of boost you want to run.The big difference is that the 321SS will hold up to extreme temperatures much better then the 304SS.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:49 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Tim, can you shed any information on performance gains for your 968 headers?

We havent done any dyno testing with themon a N/A 968.We have only tested them on a 968 turbo.

Tim
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Upgrading exhaust, need opinions.