Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

This Turbo S Will Be Mine In One Week

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 08:37 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Turbo S Will Be Mine In One Week

The Time is almost here! After three years of rewarded ownership on my black 85.5 NA I will be the proud owner of KN150758, an 89 Turbo with 64K on the clock in just one week.

I've known this car for a while, as it belongs to my brother in Altanta. He purchased it from a fellow PCA member in Gee-oh-ga. Car has window sticker, records since new and 968 M030 update including rear Koni coil overs w/factory helpers. Some sorting still to be done as previous owner (before bro) had the set up pretty screwy, rear helpers were missing and car was way too low all around.

Question for the group, as I'm just now drifting over from the broader 924-968 board. I have the good fortune of living near the Cumberland Airport where some of the best autocrossing on the East Coast is going on ( http://www.nationalroadrally.com ) The courses at the airport are very open and some over a mile long. We're thinking that our performances in the NA (frequent Top 20 overall among 100 entries, winning CSP and finishing 13th overall last May) might improve in the Turbo S, but it has not yet shined in Peachtree region autox (courses too short, most likely).

Sooooo, what sage advice does this distinquished group have about making KN150758 turn?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time for user id change: "The Real Lucky Lefty"!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:55 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

These cars tend to understeer at slow speed. I like having the rear sway set
so that the rear will rotate easier.
I picked up a spare set of clubsports and will be running the rear 9's on the front with 245's in an effort to reduce the understeer.
Turbo spoolup and the boost kick have to be anticipated.
Overall I think the turbo is a hard car to drive for Autox.
I won B-stock in my local club last year. I'll be running ASP this year because of
the mods I've done this winter.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man beautful car.

I am going to say that your times are going to go downhill, unfortunately. Not too many cars worse for autocrossing than a stock 951S. My legal ITS car would really kick the **** out of my 500 HP 951 in an autocross.
De trackday times will improve.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I started out with a NA autocrossing it every chance I got. My first few autox events in the turbo were a step back, but after learning to anticipate the boost and downshifting in places I would not in the na I became quite good at running the turbo around the circut. I ran a potomac region autox last fall with my car stock at the time and finished third overall and first in my class that day. I let my dad run in my car that same day and he did much better in his 964 than the run he made in my 951.
It is just how well you know the car.
Maybe I will try cumberland this year.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Originally Posted by tconn
These cars tend to understeer at slow speed. I like having the rear sway set so that the rear will rotate easier.
That works well, but makes the rear of the car very nervous at speed. Although if you have the 968CS rear swaybar it's a 2min job to change settings.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:56 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Yeppers, got the three hole rear bar, now in the short position. Still sporting the thinner 1989 M030 front sway bar (not the 30 mm 968 M030). Agreed with all, this changes my autoX world in very challenging way...for that matter it may make for fairly frequent visits to the tullies at Summit DE as well!

Still have NA for now, if I get too confused I can always go back to it for an event or two and sorta "reset" my senses. Turns like a slot car with 200# Weltmeister front springs, fresh Yellow Koni's all around, one inch drop, the 19mm rear bar and about two degrees negative camber and 15 x 8 Fuchs on all four corners....but I fullly expect that the physics are about change.

The NA is a blast and developed very much the way I hoped, but the Turbo S is the stuff of legend and this is a chance to get a car that has been in good hands with good records...even if it is probably more car than I am a driver.

As for coming out to Cumberland, put it on your calendar! Relaxed, professional operation. This year, events are capped at 100 cars per day and organizers plan on five runs per day per entrant, barring unforeseen glitches. Events are two day deals and the second day the course changes, usually run backwards from the first day.

Another tease shot attached, photographer thought he was shooting the blue 2CV a local car show but the car of interest is right behind it Waiting down to days now.....
Old 03-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

And I can'twait to see it! #7 will be jealous...
Old 03-11-2005, 05:48 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

22 hours and 26 minutes until it arrives....but who's counting. I'm hoping the black 7 car takes this well and doesn't try to bite the new car when we're not looking. We're had a couple family talks, assuring our cool little racer that he is no less loved because there will be a new addition to our brood. And, as I've told the local media, just because we signed this Turbo S, the job of #1 autocrosser in the family is still up for grabs
Old 03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You think that is a big joke, don't you. God help you if she reads your last post....then you will know hell.....
Old 03-12-2005, 07:29 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Hopefully, our relationship is strong enough to overcome this transgression. I never told the 7 she would be the "only one"....and the 7 car really does have a shot a remaining the primary autocrosser if her club footed, ham handed driver can't master the beast built into every Turbo S. Delivery driver (cleverly disquised as my brother) overslept, wasn't "wheels up" in Altanta until 5 AM....so delivery is now due in eight hours and 41 minutes, but who's counting.

Quick Reply: This Turbo S Will Be Mine In One Week