Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cad Plating

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

The only reason I found that funny is although there prices a steep they are probaly 1/3 of the Posrche dealer price
regards
Ed
The dealer is the preverbal BEND YA OVER
Old 03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the truely "good" processes are highly toxic. The metals involved are highly regulated in the commercial arena. Be careful in using these items at home. Disposal is difficult, and expensive to do right. To just dump hurts the environment and possibly your property value.
Most aircraft repair stations have a cold process they use for sheetmetal, that may be an option.

Just be careful, the effects of the these toxic metals are serious.

-MArk
Old 03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to a DIY anodizing procedure.
http://www.atmsite.org/contrib/Newman/anodize/
Old 03-03-2005, 04:50 PM
po9rs5che1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The finish with the Caswell CopyCad can vary from bright gold tint to Olive drap color. It is controllable. The Eastwood plating kit is white zinc, we have one of those as well.(It's kinda cheesy). I also unfortunately purchased the cans of yellow zinc paint , I think they call it golden cad. It looks good, but it looks like it has been painted. (Headlight drive rod) When you set up to do the plating there is setup and prep time. But the finish is great! It looks like new. Know it might not make sense to purchase just to replate nuts/bolts. But I found it worth the money because it enable you to plate items like vaccum parts, brackets straps ,regulators ect . So if your thinking about restoring the yellow di-chromate
parts and willing to take the time. You can make them look brand new. The guy at Caswell loves to talk about their products. The intial investment is kinda high , but not like buying NOS OE parts to get the showroom look. My 2 cents. Good luck..
Old 03-03-2005, 07:08 PM
DHC8FO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I't would probably be easier to get a group together to get parts finished, no disposal issues either.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what condition do bolts/plates/brackets have to be in when you send them to be plated? Do you need to sandblast off any corrosion in advance?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
chilibluepepper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cleaner part will result in a better end result. That being said, the plater will strip/clean the parts in an acid bath prior to plating. This process should take care of light surface corrosion, but why not spend a little extra time and clean the parts anyway. I used a wire wheel on a bench grinder to clean off all my bolts and fastners prior to plating.

Quick Reply: Cad Plating