Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
stonecreek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that stinks, cracked block. I have seen good used blocks for 400-700$. Not a project I would want to do, I helped a friend pull a 944 S2 engine out, OMG what a pain, a turbo will be even worse. Sorry.

Good Luck
Old 02-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're loosing coolant, white smoke on boost, then I agree with head gasket.

The problem with head gasket failure is that you can push foreign matter into the cylinder bore which can scratch the cylinder wall. Secondly, if you contiue to drive it on boost, the water that gets inside the cylinder bore can wash lubricant off the wall and allow piston to wall contact scoring the wall. I would suggest getting the coolant system pressure tested and if it's loosing pressure, pull the plugs, pull the DME relay, and hit the key - see which cylinder sprays out the water and that would generally confirm the head gasket failure with relation to where it failed...which is my best guess at this point. good luck
Old 02-21-2005, 06:00 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

thanks for the glimpse of hope, this sucks, i have to go to the field tomorrow and the car would just sit here until i return in 3wks, guess it wouldn't hurt to order the wf head gasket set from lindsey.
any other suggestions on hg sets? i'll try and order one tonight and hopefully it'll be here when i return.
thanks again everyone
Old 02-21-2005, 06:03 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl,
did you used to work/live in Heidelberg, at Campbell?
-Randy
Old 02-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest getting the coolant system pressure tested and if it's loosing pressure, pull the plugs, pull the DME relay, and hit the key - see which cylinder sprays out the water and that would generally confirm the head gasket failure
For a quick check pull the plugs. Look for one that is wet, smells, and is clean (generally the coolant will clean the plug). If you dont see anything check Ski's way. Either way you are going to pull the plugs, mght as well check them.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very unlikely it's a cracked block, I wouldn't worry about that.

You can drive it, but not for long. If you can afford it, get someone who really know 944s to diagnose and fix your problem. By that I mean fixing the cause, not just the result.

I can't afford to do my own repairs because I don't know these cars well enough.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:40 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

thanks everyone, too bad i'm taking off for the field in 30 min. but soon as i get back i'll put it in the shop.

randy, no i didn't work at heidelberg nor campbell, though i wish, it's better than being with signal folks.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:15 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

My car does the same thing. Smokes at start up untill i drove a mile or so. If i turned the car off for 15+ mins it would smoke again a little bit at start up. It was white, didnt really smell. I thought it was my power steering fluid buring off sinc ei have a leak in the power steering. Is this actually the HG? Sometime at start up it drops to 500rpm real quick before jumping back up to 800. But i drove my car for over 3 months before putting it in storage for when im in college. The smoke never got worse either.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:21 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smkn951
thanks everyone, too bad i'm taking off for the field in 30 min. but soon as i get back i'll put it in the shop.

randy, no i didn't work at heidelberg nor campbell, though i wish, it's better than being with signal folks.
ok, i asked because there was a white 951 on base there all the time when i lived there first 951 i had ever seen actually

-randy
Old 02-22-2005, 02:06 PM
ewainwright
Racer

I too was terrified when my head gasket blew. Several rennlist people explained to me that pulling the head isn’t all that bad and they were right. The Lindsey head gasket set is pretty good but its missing injector seals and the gasket behind the cap. This is also a great time to replace all your vacuum lines if you haven’t already done so. I got a three-angle value job and new springs for under $300.00 at a local shop. I started at 9AM and had the head off by 4 PM. I really took my time, drank a lot of beer, and took pictures along the way so I could remember how to put it back together. Two things people on board warned me about the lifters (jack up the right side of your car high) and have an assistant when you pull the cam housing and disconnect your headers at the crossover pipe. Like everything else it wasn’t hard (provided you are not afraid of the belts) but it was sufficiently time consuming
Old 02-22-2005, 04:32 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

So is my HG cooked or no?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is my HG cooked or no?
Kind of hard to say without more information.
My car does the same thing. Smokes at start up untill i drove a mile or so. If i turned the car off for 15+ mins it would smoke again a little bit at start up. It was white, didnt really smell. I thought it was my power steering fluid buring off sinc ei have a leak in the power steering. Is this actually the HG?
Smoke coming out from under the hood, which is what power steering fluid does, is not headgasket, whether it is white or not. If you have a slow head gasket leak, you will get white smoke out the tailpipe when cold. The white smoke may have a sickly sweet smell to it (ethylene glycol antifreeze, sweet like German wine.) The defining symptoms for me last summer were the fact that the number one spark plug was clean, while the other three were slightly carbon fouled. I let the car sit with the plugs out overnight and "dipped" the cylinders with a wooden dowel through the spark plug holes. The dowel was wet on the end when I dipped number one cylinder. This confirmed a head gasket leak from the water jacket to number one cylinder.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:26 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

this is me happy. Thnx for the info waterguy.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Clowd
Pro

My car always smokes when you start it up and it's cold.. I thought all cars did?
Old 02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

how white or thick of smoke are we talking about......I too once or twice on boost have had a puff come out...only a coupleoftimes and when I tried to duplicate it did not...the car was warm too

Quick Reply: white smoke