Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A maf question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005 | 06:47 PM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Default A maf question

I am thinking of going with a maf conversion but I am not sure yet because there are a couple things I would like to know. My only real question is reguarding chips. I read in the archives that the afm chips will not work because of a different voltage setup? I have custom chips already, but they are for my afm. So, it's not the fuel that might be wrong, its the whole voltage part? What happens if I do run the afm chips? Can I make other mods to make the afm chips work? Tia - Mike
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:06 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

i think a maf reads differently to the AFM. i think you'd be better off just getting a proper set of chips for the MAF with the correct transfer function, rather than stuffing about trying to massage what you've got already. chips aren't that expensive are they?
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:17 PM
pikey7
Drifting

The MAF kit should have a signal modifier in the kit. This is the voltage conversion part. The chips basically layout the basic tune of the car, and the MAF box does the rest. Unless you're going mega-up on performance anyhow. Do a search on here, and have a long read before comitting. You do need to be either relatively engine minded, or not mind spending on guys to fit and tune it!.
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:26 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Mike,
Don't mess about give John at Vitesse a call, his stuff works like it says on the box!
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:26 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

You could use any aftermarket AFM chips when going for a MAF, as long as the chips has good timing and you have a fuel controller/piggy back and a widband.

Thing is, everytime you increase/decrease boost, you would need to adjust the AFR (some fuel controller could store up to 4 fuel maps depending on boost level).

You could also get a MAF chip (Vitesse Racing) that no matter what boost level you set, the AFR would be automatically the same (this was even dyno tested and proven).

Do a search on "signal massaging" to get more details........
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pikey7
The MAF kit should have a signal modifier in the kit. This is the voltage conversion part. The chips basically layout the basic tune of the car, and the MAF box does the rest. Unless you're going mega-up on performance anyhow. Do a search on here, and have a long read before comitting. You do need to be either relatively engine minded, or not mind spending on guys to fit and tune it!.
I must disagree. Some MAF kits use a signal massager to convert the MAF signal to look like an AFM signal. Some MAF kits, such as Vitesse, use the proper transfer function on the chip itself. A piggyback is used for fine tuning only, to match the car 100%.

The MAF or AFM voltage is related to the flow, which translates to load.. If you are massaging the variable (AFM or MAF signal ) used to calculate load, and the output signal is very different then the actual signal. The DME will use the massaged signal to calculate load. Load is used to calculate timing and fuel, so even if you get the correct AFR, the DME might be picking the incorrect timing values..
Also, AFM chips are programmed to compensate for Intake Air Temps, the MAF does not need it.. This causes people to have to readjust the signal with changes in outside temps..
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:46 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"You could also get a MAF chip (Vitesse Racing) that no matter what boost level you set, the AFR would be automatically the same (this was even dyno tested and proven)."

I have been wondering for a long time why this was not possible, and I guess it is?

I always thought that boost should not matter to the MAPS if there was a way to set the chips so now matter what boost you ran, it was always mated with 12:1 ratio.

So at 15 psi you have 12:1, then if you turn up the boost, the chip/computer recognizes the increased flow and adds the appropriate increase in fuel to match that new flow, and vice versa.

Why is this so hard to do??? or program.
Old 02-17-2005 | 07:48 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"You could also get a MAF chip (Vitesse Racing) that no matter what boost level you set, the AFR would be automatically the same (this was even dyno tested and proven)."

I have been wondering for a long time why this was not possible, and I guess it is?

I always thought that boost should not matter to the MAPS if there was a way to set the chips so now matter what boost you ran, it was always mated with 12:1 ratio.

So at 15 psi you have 12:1, then if you turn up the boost, the chip/computer recognizes the increased flow and adds the appropriate increase in fuel to match that new flow, and vice versa.

So only the volume of fuel needs to be adjusted to maintain the SAME a/f ratio.

Why is this so hard to do??? or program.

Or is this just beyond the capibilities of our computers.
Old 02-17-2005 | 09:00 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Toddk911: Only good calibration (matching chips, turbo, MAF etc) as a WHOLE system work together. This was brought up in further details found on This Thread

Forgot to add this, timing on the AFM chips would be different on MAF chips as well (it is all in that thread).
Old 02-17-2005 | 09:41 PM
special tool
Banned

Todd - my afr is exactly the same at 15 psi as it is at 25 psi.

I guess it is pretty difficult, because a few guys have failed at even COPYING the technology when it was handed to them on a silver, bootlegged, platter.
Old 02-17-2005 | 09:47 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If the transfer function is correct and the MAF is sized correctly, then the AFR should be fairly close when changing boost.
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:34 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

You know... I was data logging with the W/B and fine tuning today playing with the Hi and low settings on my EBC. I have the low set at 15 psi with a slightly softer build, The high set at 18 psi.
I'm data logging both and have virtually the same AFM at both boost settings, in fact, I'm slightly richer at the 18 psi setting.
So Has Vitesse done some magic in the coding of the AFM chips also ???
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:38 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awilson40
You know... I was data logging with the W/B and fine tuning today playing with the Hi and low settings on my EBC. I have the low set at 15 psi with a slightly softer build, The high set at 18 psi.
I'm data logging both and have virtually the same AFM at both boost settings, in fact, I'm slightly richer at the 18 psi setting.
So Has Vitesse done some magic in the coding of the AFM chips also ???
It's the fairy dust I'm telling you.
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:42 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

that does sound like x-files material to me, cause at 18psi your AFM would be maxed out / not metering the additional air...
Old 02-17-2005 | 10:46 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

What ever it is it really surprizes me...My guess is that its the increased fuel pressure due to the increased boost is keeping pace. I keep looking at the zeitronic files in amasement .

Quick Reply: A maf question