Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

spring length for Motons on 951?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default spring length for Motons on 951?

Can anyone tell me the correct spring lengths for using Moton club sport shocks on a 951S?

I just received my kit today and the springs look wrong. The rear springs were backordered (so I heard), so they only sent fronts.

The fronts are 8" and look way too short (only reach an inch or so of the threaded body at full extension). The distributor installed the springs on the struts before shipping, so I am assuming that is where they go. I thought I heard fronts should be 10".

I was told I would need 8" rear springs, but that seems way too long. The distance from the upper perch to the bottom of the threaded body is only 8.5".

Maybe the distributor mistakenly put the rear springs on the struts and I really need a pair of 10" front springs.

Can anyone provide any first-hand advice?

I'm going to contact Dave Schardt (fast44s) today as he runs 951s and is a Moton retailer. He can set me straight and hopefully has the springs I need in stock.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No firsthand Moton experience, but a reminder to be aware that the "ideal" length will depend on the spring rate you run, it's not the same across the board, due to different amounts of sag and required travel with the differing rates.

Sam
Old 02-16-2005, 08:33 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Thanks Sam,

I know a few guys running Motons on their 951s who are using relatively similar spring rates. I'm assuming there is a reasonable trade-off between wheel travel, ride height, coil binding, etc.

The 8" spring for the front strut looks too short (pic attached). Also, I don't see how an 8" spring would fit on the rear shock (pic w/ an 8" spring is attached as well)
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks all wrong to me. You need to send all that bling bling stuff back

Seriously though
You may have a hard time finding the rates you want in the length you want. I think at least for Hypercoils, a 600lb spring is not made 10" long. That's why I had to go with 8" on mine. Might have the same issue if you're looking for 700 or 750.

8's work fine all around if you ask me. The perches on my car are pretty much as high as possible though to maintain a good pre-load . . . and you know how low it sits. Your rear shock almost looks too short, but the front strut looks ok to me
Old 02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Hey Mike,

Yeah, it does look kinda cool, but I'll never match your bling. The strut bodies are a flat back, so I'm keeping w/ the sleeper look. You have those shiny silver strut bodies which are just too gaudy. ;-)

Got the answer from Dave Schardt. He said 8" front are what I need (which luckily were included). He said 7" in the rear should serve me right (gee, that sounds really bad). He was able to drop-ship me some springs that I should get on Friday, so I'm still on for the install this weekend.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to look at http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp?Manf=All they might have the lenght you are looking for.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do not have Motons (damnit), however I have both 8" and 10". 550# front and 700# rear on my Carrera coilovers. I first installed the 10" and took them off right away, the 8" have been on ever since and I have plenty adjustment.

Quick Reply: spring length for Motons on 951?