Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car won't idle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:03 PM
uberFoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car won't idle.

Hey guys. I'm hoping the collective knowledge on this list can help me out...

I just finished putting my car ('86 951) back together after changing the oil pan gasket and all the stuff that goes with that: venturi delete, new vac hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, chips...the list goes on...

Anyway, now that it is back together it won't idle. It starts and runs for a second or two and then dies. If I gun the throttle I can keep it running for maybe 5-10 seconds in the 1k-2k rpm range, but it will eventually die.

Any thoughts?

TIA

- Keith
Old 02-12-2005, 04:29 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check you're connections since the intake manifold was off.

Did you install the ISV the right way? there is an arrow marked on the ISV that should point towards the intake manifold (not intercooler).

Silly as this sounds, is the idle screw installed? i forgot to install mine when i took off the TB for cleaning.....car wouldn't idle at all.....
Old 02-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the connector at the AFM. During the initial start phase the DME ignores the AFM just long enough for the engine to start. Once engine RPM hits a preset value the DME polls the AFM looking for a valid air flow signal. If the DME does not see a valid signal it shuts off the injectors, shutting engine down.

This can also be caused by a massive intake leak down stream of the AFM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 PM
uberFoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoooHoooo!!! Like a dumba$$ I forgot to reattach the ISV to the hardpipe... Doh!!

She runs again. I've been dreaming of driving my car lately - it's been over a year now.

Thanks for the help and the communal knowledge of this board - I couldn't have done it without rennlist.

Quick Reply: Car won't idle.