Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What causes play in ball joint if races in good shape?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:39 PM
a4944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes play in ball joint if races in good shape?

My car failed a track tech inspection because there is play in the ball joints. I confirmed this by using pliers to compress the joint when on ramps. I compressed from the top where the pin slides through and the bottom. There was very noticable compression, ~ 1/2 centimeter if my memory serves me well. The track event is this Saturday.

I took the control arms off and removed the ball joints. They appear to be in good shape. These are the SSI ones with the brass races. The races are solid, the ball pin is solid although I don't know how to judge wear on it. The control arm is in good shape also.

What could cause the play? It drove well and held the alignment. The only thing I can think of is that the ball wore down or the spring lost some strength and there is play there. Any other ideas? Has anyone had problems with the springs? I have the Rennbay deluxe kit with the stronger races (not the blue ones) on the way. It comes with new springs. I could install the SSI pin and races with the new springs and caps or go with the original stock pins and the Rennbay kit.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have zerk fittings on these SSI ball joints to grease them periodically? One thing that comes to mind is that lack of grease has worn the sockets to the point where there is some irreversible play.

I know when I rebuilt the ball joints on my control arms with new ball joints and fittings, it was impossible to move the pins by hand and took a hammer to move them at all from how tight the sockets were.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of control arms do you have? If they are the OEM aluminum A-arms (the 86 951 did come with alum. control arms, right?) then the play could be caused by hairline cracks on the control arm - the ball joint is probably not too worn, but the cracks in the A-arm are causing the movement.

-Z.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
a4944
Racer

I did not have the zerk fittings. I could not move them by hand either when newly installed but I could now when I took them off the car. The upper race was tight in the socket of the control arm. I had to press it out with a socket wrench socket of the correct size with a vice. I do have the stock aluminum arms. I would think the ball would move within the brass races, not the control arm socket, unless the races broke which they did not. The SSI ball that I just removed is not "glossy or shiny" like the OEM which I still have. Perhaps the ball wore down some. I can't remember how it looked when I got it new.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

You may have worn springs, like you mentioned. Did you fit new ones, or reuse the originals? When did you fit the SSI kit? I believe they've had a few iterations. Lastly, did you install the kit yourself or have a professional installation?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:40 PM
a4944
Racer

Installed myself with old springs last year. The SSI kit only came with boots, ball, and races. I may go with a hybrid. I can test the Rennlist springs against the originals. Perhaps use new Rennlist springs, boots, clamps and zerk fitting along with the SSI races and pin. I'm hoping it's the springs.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Since you mentioned the springs in the Rennbay kit I didn't realize you reused the original springs the first time around with the SSI kit. I think that very well might be your problem. Makes sense for the springs to have worn from the added pressure of the metal races.

Good luck with it, and please let us know what you find!

Quick Reply: What causes play in ball joint if races in good shape?