Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally bought 1st 951 (I think I need my head examined)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 06:31 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Talking Finally bought 1st 951 (I think I need my head examined)

Well, I have been saving to buy a 951 to do DE's in for a while, but after looking at all the repairs and modifications that would have to be done to even an $8k example I stubled across a "project" with a clean title, and several of the larger $ items... You guys will probably see a lot more posts from me, as this will be quite a big project. I have been a lurker here for a while, and I finally pay pal'ed my dues now that its time for me to join the group!
Here's a link to pelican wher my "car" was listed:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=203882

As you can see, I will probably be looking for a wreked but complete parts car to supply quite a few things...

--ryan
Old 02-07-2005 | 06:53 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Oh boy...........you've got some fun ahead of you.
Welcome!
I've got a lot of parts you'll need, let me know if I can help.
Cheers,
Jason
Old 02-07-2005 | 07:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"...did someone say something about examining heads?......." "Not too me."......" I must be hearing things." .... "It's probably just your conscience, trying to remind you that you went daffy about a month after you bought that Porsche."....."Are you saying that I'm hearing voices that aren't there?!"..."If the shoe fits Sparky...."

Oh sorry. Did I type that out loud? Congrats on the ...err .. project. I hope you have a great time on the journey. Way to go on the membership as well. Get familiar with www.clarks-garage.com, and get REALLY familiar with the search menu here on the list. You'll find what you need. Check out the "race car pics" thread. Those are some of our best tech guys. They are also, in my experience, the ones most likely to help you the most, and treat you the best. Gald to have you aboard. E
Old 02-07-2005 | 07:34 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

I thought you meant your cylinder head until I looked at the pictures! A project for sure. Did someone cut the roof out of it?
Old 02-07-2005 | 08:15 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Ryan,
I know someone who has all the parts you need for the body work, hood, fenders, doors, and even rear hatch and the best part he lives right in Michigan. View the thread titled "951 tub for sale EDIT: Being parted out". The car he has was my old 951 that I sold him the paint is even the same color as your 951 so you could probably get by without having to paint if unless you wanted a perfect example. Anyways give him a email im sure you 2 could work out the details on what you need.
Old 02-07-2005 | 08:18 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Wow just looked at the pictures I think you might be better off buying the whole car from Matt as his is way more complete (minus the driveline). If you offer him $1k for it im sure he would take it. Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:17 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Its actually not as much of a mess as it seems... it came with a hood, doors, and rear hatch. I also have most of the front suspension. Parts that are missing for sure include: front bumper, front fenders, intercooler, DME/KLR, 1 brake caliper, and a couple other little etc. etc.. I have a local friend that may have some suspension goodies for me, but the reason I was considering a parts car was so that I could have some of the misc. hardware that's missing as well as the intake parts. I'm going to take a careful inventory of what is there and what is missing before I make my next purchase, but I will keep your friend with the tub in mind (I was actually watching the thread on the NA board already).

Jason_86,
I looked through your parts, and there is some interesting stuff. If I don't find a parts car, then I will be in touch.

Cruise98,
The roof has not been cut, although someone did start cutting on the dash (I'm assuming that they wanted to just put in an aluminum dash. And yes, I meant my head needed checked for getting into a project this large. I did an engine swap on an 84 944, so I do have some Idea of the magnitude of this project.
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:57 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I'm so afraid I may had a similar titled post in a few months...
Where are you at in Ohio Ryan?
Old 02-07-2005 | 10:19 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Chris,
I have never owned a 951 before, but I have driven enough to know that BOOOST will be more than enough to make up for the extra maintenance... Do you have a second car??
I'm currently going to school at Ohio Northern University in Ada Ohio, but my family lives in Granville, which is just east of Columbus.

Ryan
Old 02-07-2005 | 11:37 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I think matt goes to Ohio Northern as well? Wow small world.

Anyways good luck with the project!! Sounds like you know what your doing.
Old 02-08-2005 | 12:22 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smokintr6
Chris,
I have never owned a 951 before, but I have driven enough to know that BOOOST will be more than enough to make up for the extra maintenance... Do you have a second car??
I'm currently going to school at Ohio Northern University in Ada Ohio, but my family lives in Granville, which is just east of Columbus.

Ryan
I got to ONU also, Did you see my post? Looks like I got pictures up a little late. all the body panels are on my car, and I was aksing $1100 - Oh-well. Good luck with that. Hope you have A TON more money and patients then I have, thats going to be a monster project man.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 02-08-2005 | 01:11 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Matt,

You probably saw me around in the red 911 this fall...We should definitely get together when the weather gets nice again! I did see your car, but really you posted too soon, as I didn't pick mine up until this saturday, and I didn't want to be buying parts for a car I didn't have yet. I was going to try to get the front clip off of you, but I saw that it was already spoken for.
On another note I want to talk to you about a "car club" that is getting started on campus here, but I dont want to chew up the band width here in the forum. Do you check your PM? PM me if u do use it, or send me an e-mail address where I can reach you.
--Ryan

Quick Reply: Finally bought 1st 951 (I think I need my head examined)