Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FYI - top speed with turbo hose disconnected - 70 mph.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 04:12 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Default FYI - top speed with turbo hose disconnected - 70 mph.

Yep, I forgot to re-tighten the clamp and took it out on the highway wondering why I couldn't build boost and get over 70. Thought "ahh, bet I didn't tighten the clamp", pulled over, opened the hood - yep. It was off the intercooler pipe (duh!) Five-second fix with a screwdriver. Just thought I'd share my "dumbass moment of the day" with you all.

Yes, it helps to actually hook the turbocharger up to the engine! *blush*

Old 02-07-2005 | 04:23 PM
Thom
Race Car

Interesting.
How fast have you guys driven your cars off boost ? I mean, use the boost to build up speed and keep it there off boost ?
Old 02-07-2005 | 04:32 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Pretty darn fast

I'd rather not incriminate myself on this board, but I had some fun with my 951 on the return trip.

Who'da thunk it, that you need that intercooler pipe connected. Strangest thing :P
Good to know you fixed it, and it wasn't a serious problem!
Old 02-07-2005 | 04:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

It wasn't just "off boost", there was effectively a huge vaccum leak too since the level of air flow going through the AFM would have differed (in some cases quite a bit) from that going to the engine. It didn't idle very well when I pulled over either - the hose had blown off the IC pipe leaving probably a good 1/2" - 3/4" gap there!
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:10 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

well, glad that was yourt only problem. I bet your hear sank until you realized what it was... We still on for this weekend? I think imma get some work done today.
~Eyal
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:21 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yah, I'll be there on Sat. Hopefully a few others can make it too, but if not that's fine too.
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:28 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
well, glad that was yourt only problem. I bet your hear sank until you realized what it was...
~Eyal
Well, it was more like, "huh? I didn't do anything really mechanical to it, I just washed it and cleaned it up some - what the hell?"

What happened (long story) was I had to pull the nose / bumper cover off in order to get at the headlight washer nozzles since one was broken and needed replacing. I fixed all that crap but "while I was in there" I decided to pull out and clean up the intercooler & panels behind / under it, pulled the scoop off, the bumper off, etc. Cleaned all that crap and re-installed it. Much better. Lots of little crevasses in there where crud had accumulated over time. When I put the IC back in I thought I tightened all the clamps but evidently missed the one at the TOP of the pipe where it hooks onto the turbo hose, not the one at the bottom where the pipe connects to the IC - that one I got nice and tight (since it's the one I "expected" to be off during reassembly). The other one (top one) was an easy and dumb thing to forget.
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:37 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Those factory skimpy clamps are garbage, upgrade them if you haven't!
Old 02-07-2005 | 05:46 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

yea, whoever wants to come help is welcome. I'll really hoping to have it running on saturday. Hopefully no issues will arise, but we shall see!
~Eyal
Old 02-07-2005 | 06:37 PM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

I had the same thing happen with the turbo hoses, but to my Turbo Volvo...

Hey Eyal, how are the WRX wheels working out? Its nice to see your car coming back together with all the goodies... my 951 will see extended down time real soon once I get a smog check and new registration, then I think I'll be tackling a clutch replacement. I figure a year is long enough. If there is still room this weekend to help put your ride back together with Jeff PM me with address and directions... I need to get out of the office for a bit.
Old 02-07-2005 | 06:51 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

there is definetly room for anyone who wants to come. the WRX rims are sitting in my room, waiting for a set or track tires for the impreza. Someone offered me 295 for em, but we need em. thanks for the amazing deal!
~Eyal
Old 02-08-2005 | 12:11 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, I remember a time leaving my g/f house and had the intercool out the day before, well, the clamp on the pass. side wasn't all the way closed so at 5psi it sounded like I turned the fan for the inside of the car on SUPER! I could hear major air rushing around, so I pulled over, looked at it, tighten down, good as new!

Quick Reply: FYI - top speed with turbo hose disconnected - 70 mph.