Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

RWD vs AWD on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Is that rule also found in GT3, GT1, and Prototype? Just curious.....
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
BMW and Porsche have well working AWD systems and yet they build their cars intended for track use with RWD. Doesn't that fact tell you something?
That is just a statement of what Porsche has done. But as with any engineering decision, there were surely trade-offs involved. For all we know, Porsche may believe the GT3 could be made faster with a proper AWD system, but cannot justify the cost of developing it, etc....
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Is that rule also found in GT3, GT1, and Prototype? Just curious.....
The same rule exists in the regulation for both of FIA's GT racing classes, GT1 and GT2. There seems to be some confusion regarding the class naming though, in the result list the GT classes are called GT and NGT (where Porsche GT3 competes). From what I understand the GT2 class is also called NGT and is the class were you would compete with a Porsche GT3!
For Le Mans prototypes (and also for Le Mans GT cars) AWD is also banned.

Tomas
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Buck
That is just a statement of what Porsche has done. But as with any engineering decision, there were surely trade-offs involved. For all we know, Porsche may believe the GT3 could be made faster with a proper AWD system, but cannot justify the cost of developing it, etc....
The GT3's I've seen don't have any problems getting the power down and the GT2 doesn't seem to have any problems either. They both could've had the 996tt AWD system installed or sold in a version with it but for some reason that is not being done. I am pretty sure that Porsche has made non-production versions of both cars with AWD.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
The GT3's I've seen don't have any problems getting the power down and the GT2 doesn't seem to have any problems either. They both could've had the 996tt AWD system installed or sold in a version with it but for some reason that is not being done. I am pretty sure that Porsche has made non-production versions of both cars with AWD.
The GT2 and GT3 are low series versions of the 911 with the purpose of being homologated for GT racing. If GT racing prohibits AWD, then for what purpose would Porsche make an extra AWD model of these cars? Doesn't make any sense to me.
What do you mean by "don't have any problems getting the power down"? Can they floor the gas pedal at the point they start to accelerate out a turn (and in every type of turn)? If not then they would have use of more driving traction.
The whole point of racing development is to find improvements to something that already works well.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD on the track?