Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Header Wrap inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
You got the SFR SS Headers?..........those gotta look good!
i'm sure they look fabulous under the blankets......
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh...........
Old 02-03-2005, 05:31 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I originally wrapped my headers and had a smell for the first few days until they set. After that no problems. At a later date I had my headers coated at airborne coatings with their aluminum/ceramic coating. The wrapped coating was better, I verified that with a thermometer but it was quite noticeable even without the thermometer - the underhood temps were quite a bit higher. I had removed the factory heat shields before applying the ceramic coating, that would have been a factor also.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate all the input. I think I am going to try a bit of everything and see how that goes (with the exception of not covering them). What is the worst that can happen?

1. Remove OEM heat shield
2. Ceramic paint the bare headers
3. Wrap in Thermo-Tec (since I have already received it)
4. Wait for the smell to go away.
4 See what happens.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

The worst that can happen? It could ruin your manifold.

I also think you are supposed to spray the ThermoTec stuff on the wrap after applying it. I think it is supposed to help seal the ThermoTec wrap.

Also, I see you live in VA, do you drive in the snow or rain? If so, you might be better off without the wrap.

Max
Old 02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

One thing I've never understood about the 'trapped moisture" with heat wraps:

These headers are easily exceeding the boiling point of water every time you run the car. Wouldn't any moisture there just steam off?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:23 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually I think it is a combination of two problems. One is the the moisture and any resulting mineral deposits that are left behind when it is at rest. Maybe it boils off.

The other issue is that S/S expands/contracts with temperature changes. If you wrap your headers tightly with thermal wrap, it will inhibit the exhaust from doing this, causing cracks. I don't know how valid this concern is either.

I do know that there is a history of these problems. I don't know how likely or if it can be avoided.

Max
Old 02-03-2005, 03:28 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmm, well there seemed to be a bit of flex in the wrap I used, and I would think most fabric wraps will be more prone to stretching than stainless steel would. Also, when I wrapped mine, I made sure to wrap the expansion joint on the #1 runner loosely, so that the header still has the ability to expand and contract as it should.

But, as with all modifcations to any car, its a trade off. I took the risk, because if I ever have to replace my headers and crossover, I'm just going to go the SFR route. I doubt that will happen any time soon, but I'm still going to knock on wood.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
chapstic951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts were this. Use VHT's 1500 Flame Proof header coating on directly on the header, then wrap it in Thermo-Tec's thermal wrap. This, from my understanding, would prevent the moisture from attacking the header as well as add the first line of defense againt escaped heat.

Max, I am a puss. I don't drive in the rain or snow so the moisture attacking the metal is kept to a minium.

Originally Posted by macnewma
The worst that can happen? It could ruin your manifold.

I also think you are supposed to spray the ThermoTec stuff on the wrap after applying it. I think it is supposed to help seal the ThermoTec wrap.

Also, I see you live in VA, do you drive in the snow or rain? If so, you might be better off without the wrap.

Max
Old 02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chapstic951
My thoughts were this. Use VHT's 1500 Flame Proof header coating on directly on the header, then wrap it in Thermo-Tec's thermal wrap. This, from my understanding, would prevent the moisture from attacking the header as well as add the first line of defense againt escaped heat.
Those were my thoughts as well, and I went the same route.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That's what I plan on doing too. Can't have too much, right?

Maybe I'll cover all that with a blanket too!!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:19 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

So wraping the headers with thermo-tech wraps would cause problems?

Super hot and humid here in summer.............now causing concerns since i have two wraps just sitting here.........
Old 02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B951S
My DEI wrapped xover and downpipe STINK, I thought it was just intial burn off but it never goes away. Made a noticable difference though...
Same on my buddies car.

And the first few times he ran the car the stuff smoldered. We knew about some slight smoke, but this was a little mushroom cloud off the engine whenever he stopped for the first few days.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

I prefer DEI because it wraps better. As far as driving in less than optimum condition, let's just say that when I kissed a guard rail, there was about 4in of slush on the road. No, my 951 isn't a garage queen.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Guys
Two things. First where is the best place( cheapest ) to get this DEI wrap ? Lindsey ?
Second, I have heard from a lot of guys on this board that seem to know their
$hit that the preferred way to go is to have the headers coated by Swain in Upstate NY . It is supposedly the thickest and most durable. There is another company call Performance Coatings ( not to be confused with High Performance Coating which I haven't heard a lot of good things about )
who makes a similar coating to Swain but supposedly not as thick. I was planning on going the Swain route eventually. And BTW eventually for me can be a very long time
regards
Ed

Quick Reply: Header Wrap inquiry