Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Floating sensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, ride height and attitude are normal. Control arms & tie rods are new and firm. Toe in and caster are within spec. Tires fairly new and properly inflated. Bushings & bearings firm and without play. Pinch clamps are tight. All bolts and nuts are set at factory torque. Car was fine with all this for ~1K miles after installation of the new components. Tracks straight ahead "hands off" at speed on a straight, level, smooth highway.

The "floating" is the very brief but noticable lag after turning the steering wheel, as when changing lanes on the highway. Then, the car feels as if the body is connected to the suspension via marshmallows. This phenomenon began only in the last ~200 miles or less.

Although I have not specifically checked the steering linkage (except the new tie rods, which are firm), this obviously has me worried.

Could a power steering pump fault cause this problem? Steering effort is normal, so hydraulic pressure seems fine, with no noise, etc..
Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 PM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "floating" is the very brief but noticable lag after turning the steering wheel, as when changing lanes on the highway. Then, the car feels as if the body is connected to the suspension via marshmallows.
This is EXACTLY the feeling I had using winter tires......the difference compared to "normal" tires is really amazing - day and night!!
Did you change tire type/brand by any chance ??

Tommy
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the tires have been on the car since long before this problem very recently arose. I initially hoped it was simply a tire pressure problem, but the pressure is fine, and changing pressure seems to have little or nothing to do with the floating problem.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet is on the shocks. Worn shock will do exactly what you describe.

Quick Reply: Floating sensation