Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I HATE sunroofs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I HATE sunroofs...

H'okay guys, I need some help here, I'm at a comlete loss.

Today I decided I'd drive down to the auto hobby shop and see what I could do about not being able to retract the arms to the sunroof. Let me start off with that I'd done previously.

When I first bought the car, both sunroof gears were stripped...on my drive home with the car, the passenger side arm wouldn't even engage, so I had to drive it back with the pasenger side unsecured, that sucked...first thing I ordered were two brand new gears from Performance Products. I installed them, and had trouble having the arms retract, at the time, I didn't mess with them, since they were working fine going up and down.

Today, I decided I'd tackle this problem, but to no avail. I removed the sunroof panel by removing the lifting arms. After this, I set the sunroof motor so that the arms were in the "retracted" position. I reinstalled the arms only to discover that now they wouldn't even go all the way up!...they would pull all the way down, but not up...I've checked all three microswitches, and they operate fine, and as of right now, it's back to stage 1, only going up and down. I had managed to acquire an entire sunroof motor unit so I decided to install that to see if maybe that was the problem, the new one is a little cleaner than my old one. The new one works great, but I still can't seem to get the arms to retract. I set it in the retracted position, but whenever I extend them, and retract them, they stop and the "secure" position, and won't go all the way back. I pulled the relay and checked the voltage going to the relay. Clarks Garage said to check slot R and slot A. With the key in position 1, slot R should read 12V and it does, and with the key in position 2, both slot A and R should read 12V, but slot A is only reading 4.4-4.8V. I am basically stupid when it comes to electrical components of any sort. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this happening? I hope its not a bad wire or anything that I will have to chase down...Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Darwin
Old 01-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the diagram of the relay panel that I used to test it, Clark says this:

"# On early 944 sunroofs, insert the key into the ignition but, do not turn the switch on. On late 944 sunroofs, turn the ignition to the ACCESSORY position.
# Check for approximately 12 VDC at terminal R of the sunroof relay socket.
# On early and late 944s, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
# Check for approximately 12 VDC at terminal A and terminal R of the sunroof relay socket."

Quick Reply: I HATE sunroofs...