Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"S" badge for my '89?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005 | 05:00 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not sure about which guy...PM me on that. I'll probably go with a 968 to start with if I don't rebore. To me that's the way to get long term reliable torque and power. For a long term engine, boost just wears things out if your using it to create useable torque, IMHO. I'm never selling this car, so it MUST be bullet proof.
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:43 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

I got a S on my 89. This was installed before my time with the car, so you realy cant blame me for it But I think it actually looks good, even though I know its maybe a wrong thing to do.. I dont want to take it of now, cause I dont know how its glued to the car!

Old 01-28-2005 | 09:00 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NZ951
Well, my car has better specs than the Turbo "S", but mine is an 86. But given the specs are better, can I make it an "SS"? Or maybe "SE"? lol

Do what you want, its not as much about originality as saying its something its not. I would not put an "S" badge on even though my cars specs are better for example.

Sorry to be an a$$ but I don't see anything in your handling or braking department that's better specs than a stock S?
Old 01-28-2005 | 09:08 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I think this one was done tastefully:

Old 01-28-2005 | 09:55 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Good feedback guys! I guess the only reason I was considering the "S" badge was because the car is stock and completely S-spec. I believe that there were other S cars in '88 that weren't silverose so I figured that if you placed my '89 next to an '88S it would probably be impossible to tell the difference.

I guess I didn't realize that the '88S cars didn't come with the S badge. I believe I saw Turbo S on someones avatar.

Originally Posted by ehall
Why tell them? Let them smell the smoke!
That's a good point. Why advertise! I guess most of the people around South Dakota don't know enough about Porsche's to even know there is a difference.

I wonder if anyone with a V8 conversion has put an LT1 badge on?
Old 01-28-2005 | 03:15 PM
faithless
Pro

The decision for me would be after I saw how much it costs to buy a little S badge...
over ~$20 and its getting a little pointless. But it does look cool, especially on Randy's(?) car.
Old 01-28-2005 | 04:26 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i don't have an S badge, but my original 'Turbo' badge was getting a bit worn around the edges. I replaced it with a 996 Turbo badge.

Its basically the same script, but a little more 'modern'....a bit thinner line and a tad smaller overall. i think you can get it in a polished chrome look, (which is what i really wanted) but when it arrived, it was the satin finish...which i really like now.

so....if you want to update a bit, but not get too crazy, it might be the way to go. i like it.
Old 01-28-2005 | 04:57 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Got a pic of it Brian?
Old 01-28-2005 | 05:05 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not a big fan of adding non-factory badging on any car. Creative or not, it just doesn't look "right". If you want to adverstive the car is something special, do it with the license plate "S SPEC" or something like that. When I see a non-factory designation I begin to question the model totally. If the driver added the "S" that wasn't there orignially, made they added the "turbo" too.

Its a different situation to put "3.6" badge on an older 911 with an engine swap. In that case, you're just replacing the "2.2" or "2.4" badge that would be there already, not tacking on some extra piece that was never there.
Old 01-28-2005 | 05:15 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

so it's not okay to rebadge a car, but it's okay to put different mirrors, door handles, and after market splitter on it, right?

Old 01-28-2005 | 05:45 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Well, my car has better specs than the Turbo "S", but mine is an 86. But given the specs are better, can I make it an "SS"? Or maybe "SE"? lol

Do what you want, its not as much about originality as saying its something its not. I would not put an "S" badge on even though my cars specs are better for example.

No No No that puts you in the Type R... Don't you know any thing NZ???

The boster "S" symbol sounds good to me, check out ebay maybe you can find some thing off of there?

-Ian
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:37 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Andy,

Be carefull about putting SS on a german car.........
It may send out the wrong kind of messages!!!!!
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:57 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If I could somehow obtain a badge that reads "951" in the right script, I'd put it on my car in an instant, probably on the left side and retain the turbo on the right.
Old 01-28-2005 | 09:01 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
..........................Regarding the vented nose panels that is a custom thing that is pretty useless if running a stock 951 since it takes air from the front left fender. Some people think it looks cool however, I would be worried bout making the aerodynamics worse.
Useless? The intake sytem draws from the fender. as you say, but do you know where your intercooler is?
Old 01-28-2005 | 10:01 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
If I could somehow obtain a badge that reads "951" in the right script, I'd put it on my car in an instant, probably on the left side and retain the turbo on the right.

Great, that would be a 944 turbo turbo then.

Quick Reply: "S" badge for my '89?