Short Shifter Availability

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by faithless
Not true.

Edit: Just to clarify. I know what you mean Anders, but it is essentially the same thing. Levers allow you to change the force magnitude required to do the same work, but it requires more movement. Reducing the throw requires more force magnitude, but it reduces the throw. Its all the same in terms of amount of work... so technically it isnt any harder, just a different feel.

After taking a brief look at Rogue's AMAZING website, it seems that a product of this quality would ONLY get rave reviews. You need some real engineering and high quality components for a good product, and Rogue seems to be on the ball for this aspect. Their website is more informative than I would have ever expected, and the quality matierials are more tha sufficient...

With higher quality matierals at play, I would bet that even with a shorter throw and less leverage, it would feel smoother and not too much more difficult to engage the gear.
I own and track a 944 turbo (Cup), and I have tried cars with short shift kits and not understood the point. I am sure someone like you who does not own a 944 turbo gives great advice - hard to understand where the knowledge comes from though.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:18 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweanders Smackdown...

Old 01-24-2005, 01:50 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
I own and track a 944 turbo (Cup), and I have tried cars with short shift kits and not understood the point. I am sure someone like you who does not own a 944 turbo gives great advice - hard to understand where the knowledge comes from though.
Not looking to make a personal remark on you, thats why I edited my post. I think everybody seems to disagree with you, unfortunately. Obviously I'm not speaking from experience with a 944... but what could be so much different about a 944 where it doesnt apply to other cars and other situations. Look at the website.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:11 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by faithless
Not looking to make a personal remark on you, thats why I edited my post. I think everybody seems to disagree with you, unfortunately. Obviously I'm not speaking from experience with a 944... but what could be so much different about a 944 where it doesnt apply to other cars and other situations. Look at the website.
One basic difference is that the 944 and other transaxle Porsches has the gearbox far away from the shifter, pretty big difference from a BMW E36 or E46.

I have driven Porsches 996 and 993 models, BMW M3 E46 and M3E36 with and without short shift kits and I have to say that I prefer the easier handling of the stock shifter in all cars.

IMHO opinon short shift kits and aftermarket steering wheels go in under the same roof of products who give an illusion of better performance but since it makes the input less exact. More direct and less exact go pretty much hand in hand.

One problem that can occur is that when you have to change gear while turning at high speed with R-compunds or slicks there is enough play in the stock shifter to allow shifting. With a shortshifter you might have to wait until the rear suspension is not under the same load. I don't know if this applies to 944's, but I am happy with the stock shifter and do not intend to change it. I also have the stock steering wheel since it works best for me, I tried an aftermarket wheel but found the precision in the bigger stock wheel a lot better.

Regarding the poing of other people disagrreing with me that doesn't bother me at all. I would be happy if proved wrong and go for a shortshift kit. Go ahead and convince me by letting me drive a 944 car with a shortshift kit.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:24 PM
faithless
Pro

Fair point, well made Anders. I guess it remains to be seen whether a quality product would make the difference, but I'm certainly interested.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it is personal preference, but from they way it sounds more people seem to like the short shifter.

-Ian
Old 01-24-2005, 04:13 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by TurboX
I guess it is personal preference, but from they way it sounds more people seem to like the short shifter.

-Ian
What do you base this on?
Old 01-25-2005, 04:36 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Richard, can Rogue Engineering make one of these for the 944 ?

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...ory_Code=ACCES
Old 01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by brad-cam
Richard, can Rogue Engineering make one of these for the 944 ?

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...ory_Code=ACCES
The tooling required for 951s is both expensive and demanding. I can check.

We used to have Famous Amos on the site...I guess this is just an evolved joke.

-Richard

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Availability