Hi From A Newbie in NJ :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SamGrant951:

Thanks pal. And I see you have a Disco too? I love those trucks, the handle so well. We are going to get 1 foot of snow tomorrow in NJ, so I will be using that truck and having fun baby! And it's not cheers, it's beers!

<--------- right back at ya!

Old 01-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Rolex - stop by at High Marques in your town tomorrow for the NNJR PCA swap meet - you may find some goodies for your car!

Welcome!
-Z-man.
1989 944S2
Old 01-21-2005, 11:08 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent posted in a while but its cool to know there are some 951s running around NNJ...I am from Ridgewood.

-Richard
Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Z-Man: Thanks for the welcome. High Marques is in Morristown? Where? Shows how much I know about my town, and I've only lived here 25 years! And what time is this taking place too? I hope it's before all the snow?

RogueM3: So you live inY Ridgewood, not to far from me. Do you have a 951? I didn't anything in your signature?

Rob

Old 01-21-2005, 11:59 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
RogueM3: So you live inY Ridgewood, not to far from me. Do you have a 951? I didn't anything in your signature?
Rob
Not yet. The m3 in my sig has been a project for the past 2 years and now that it is done I dont know what to do with myself. I am starting to look at 951s a little now...I am fairly mechanically inclined and do the performance work on the m3...

Morristown isnt far off...thats where we bought our e46 m3 a few years ago...best BMW dealership in NNJ.

How do you like your car and where did you find it?

-Richard
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Richard:

Ah, so you need to sell that Bimmer and buy a 951 then my friend! I'll tell you, this is the first 951 I ever owned. Back in 1986 I drove my cousins, it was bone stock and a blast to drive. I remember the power and handling and loved it! That's when I got hooked on these cars. But when I saw the Cup Series too, I was in total love with them even more.

I bought this car over a year ago from a Porsche collector in IL. The car basically sat in a glass box and was rarely driven. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, it is in "pristine" condition with 27K original miles on it. I had it shipped directly to Lindsey Racing from IL. When the car rolled off the carrier, Lindsey called me and said it was the most incredible looking stock 944T they've ever seen. That made me feel very good! And now that I am having them build me a 3.0L 8V, so the engine has maybe 1K on it?

I will tell you that the 944T market has really dropped since last year. There are a lot of great deals to be found out there. And for someone like yourself who can wrench, you could easily pick up a nice car and build it.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Rob: It's on Rt. 124 - for details Click here.

And while there, ya might as well sign up as an NNJR PCA member if you aren't yet.

It starts at 11:00am, so you'll have plenty of time to get home.

-Z-man.

PS: I'm in Wayne.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Z-Man:

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by there after the gym. And you are in Wayne? Wow, another guy about 20 min from me, very nice.

And I'm already a NNJR PCA member thanks. I just never attened an event yet. I joined last year, but wanted to wait until I had my car. I don't want to go to an event and sit there with no toy to play with. And I wanted to go to the Pocono events too, because the track isn't far from me at all, as you know.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Richard:
Ah, so you need to sell that Bimmer and buy a 951 then my friend! I'll tell you, this is the first 951 I ever owned. Back in 1986 I drove my cousins, it was bone stock and a blast to drive. I remember the power and handling and loved it! That's when I got hooked on these cars. But when I saw the Cup Series too, I was in total love with them even more.
Never! I love my m3 to death. This will be a car that I can modify and really enjoy without spending huge $$.

I bought this car over a year ago from a Porsche collector in IL. The car basically sat in a glass box and was rarely driven. Like I said in the beginning of this thread, it is in "pristine" condition with 27K original miles on it. I had it shipped directly to Lindsey Racing from IL. When the car rolled off the carrier, Lindsey called me and said it was the most incredible looking stock 944T they've ever seen. That made me feel very good!
Compliments are the best..I have had the m3 called a "time capsule" as a 95 purchased in '02 with 19k miles....great feeling. It stays in the garage and gets only the best.

I will tell you that the 944T market has really dropped since last year. There are a lot of great deals to be found out there. And for someone like yourself who can wrench, you could easily pick up a nice car and build it.
I have noticed the prices drop a little, but these cars are selling for WAY over book still. It seems like a good looking '87 with close to 100k on the clock is going for close to $7500 or so (AutoTrader)....I dont want to bury myself in a project and keep digging (I have heard that you find one problem on a 951 and you just found 3. ))

Is the above price about right for an 87 or are these guys asking way too much? I have notice M3 ads on there seem to be a good bit above what most m3s actually sell for.

-Richard
Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm your M3 will cost a lot to mod in comparison to a 951... a great deal more actually.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ951
Ummm your M3 will cost a lot to mod in comparison to a 951... a great deal more actually.
Oh, no doubt about that. I have already finished with it (sunk close to $15k in the past 2 years and have probably 250rwhp). The car is done with the exception of Forced Induction. (something I dont think I want to pursue on a well-balanced N/A car)....Thats why I have come to the 951....extremely well balanced and easily modified..I also like the contrast of having the Turbo driving experience to the m3s n/a power.

Hopefully I can find a good example for a reasonable amount in my area..that I can play with a little. (I love the fact that with a chip and wastegate shim the power increases dramtically. )

-Richard
Old 01-22-2005, 02:03 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Richard:

You can find great deals out there, trust me. I see them on Auto-trader all the time. That is where I found mine last year. You could try E-bay too, but that to me is a gamble. You really don't know exactly what you're getting, and then, you already have a binding contract. Unless, you contact the seller during the auction, and try to talk to him offline. I believe Auto Trader is your best bet my friend. And yes, it is a Catch 22. If you buy one cheap, more than likely it will need a fair amount of maintenance just to get it up to snuff, like a water pump, belts, maybe engine mounts, etc. And we aren't even talking about any mods yet too.

That price of $7,500 is in the "range" for 100K miles. But again, there are so many things to consider, and I don't know the condition of the car, maintenance records, etc. If anything, I would talk to you offline and tell you how about going to do it. It's to long to talk about it here. And remember this too, asking price, and what these sellers will get is a different story. I see people in Auto Trader who are asking to much for their cars, and they re-run the ads over, and over, and over again. Meaning? No one is biting at the "selling" price. If you someone who really needs to get rid of the car, you can get it for a lower price. Again, we could talk offline if you like. Let me know.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 AM
cantal10
Instructor

I was considering stopping by high marques as well for the pca swap meet. You should go check it out, meet some people.

Chris
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Richard:

You can find great deals out there, trust me. I see them on Auto-trader all the time. That is where I found mine last year. You could try E-bay too, but that to me is a gamble. You really don't know exactly what you're getting, and then, you already have a binding contract. Unless, you contact the seller during the auction, and try to talk to him offline. I believe Auto Trader is your best bet my friend. And yes, it is a Catch 22. If you buy one cheap, more than likely it will need a fair amount of maintenance just to get it up to snuff, like a water pump, belts, maybe engine mounts, etc. And we aren't even talking about any mods yet too.

That price of $7,500 is in the "range" for 100K miles. But again, there are so many things to consider, and I don't know the condition of the car, maintenance records, etc. If anything, I would talk to you offline and tell you how about going to do it. It's to long to talk about it here. And remember this too, asking price, and what these sellers will get is a different story. I see people in Auto Trader who are asking to much for their cars, and they re-run the ads over, and over, and over again. Meaning? No one is biting at the "selling" price. If you someone who really needs to get rid of the car, you can get it for a lower price. Again, we could talk offline if you like. Let me know.
Good Stuff..I appreciate it. I think I have an idea of what to look for in the car, but as I get closer to purchasing I will absolutely take you up on that offer. I know of most of the maintenance needing to be done, but having someone give me a good run down of how to go about it would be sweet. I guess $7500 isnt bad for a car needing a bit of maintenance and only a few mods to hit 280rwhp or so. (I have heard its pretty hard to break 300rwhp without upgrading the turbo)

I appreciate it.

My legitimate claim to belong here :

-Richard
Old 01-22-2005, 02:12 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Richard:

I just found a nice one on Auto Trader. It is beautiful in Grey, and had an engine rebuilt, new paint job, and alot of service too (so his says with records). he says it's fast, but who knows? Again, don't get stuck on the asking price. That is just a number.... it's a negotiating game.

Here's the listing:

Price $9,500
Body Style Coupe
Mileage 189,000
Exterior Color Grey
Interior Color Red
Engine 4 Cylinder
Transmission Manual
Drive Type 2 wheel drive
Fuel Type Gasoline
Doors Two Door

944 turbo, well maintained, VERY FAST, engine completely over hauled (records to show), new suspension, new springs & adjustable struts, new paint (2 yrs old), posi rear-end, close ratio gear box, 17 inch turbo twist wheels. This car is flauless. Serious inquiries only. Any additional questions call number listed.

Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Radio; Cruise Control; Compact Disc Player; Rear Window Defroster; Power Seats; Leather Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof;

Quick Reply: Hi From A Newbie in NJ :)