Ceramic coating the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 04:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic coating the turbo

Does this require the turbo be diassembled? Or can I take them the whole turbo and they just toss the whole thing in the oven? How does this work?

Im looking at getting the exhaust manifold, the intake manifold, crossover pipe and maybe the downpipe ceramic coated (inside and out for the exhaust manifold and crossover) so im thinking since I have a turbo going in, why not ceramic coat that at the same time
Old 01-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Usually it's just the exhaust housing, unless you're going into exotic work. You can remove the exhaust housing at home easily and just send it in. Good idea to have it done.

Sam
Old 01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Usually it's just the exhaust housing, unless you're going into exotic work. You can remove the exhaust housing at home easily and just send it in. Good idea to have it done.

Sam
Yeah I was just planning on the exhaust housing. It comes off without having to worry about seals/etc? Ive never taken apart a turbo before so im wondering.

Is it better to get it coated inside and out or does that cause clearance issues?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you talk to Swain, they will suggest that you not coat the inside as they don't do that for any exhaust components. They claim their coating is too thick and coating internally on exhaust components is risky.

Tony G suggested a while back that you should simply use one of those turbo blankets. Try searching as I can't remember the details.

Max
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macnewma
If you talk to Swain, they will suggest that you not coat the inside as they don't do that for any exhaust components. They claim their coating is too thick and coating internally on exhaust components is risky.

Tony G suggested a while back that you should simply use one of those turbo blankets. Try searching as I can't remember the details.

Max
I thought that was one of the upsides of Swain, that they had a wicked coating that they would do inside and outside of the manifold/etc?

It would be hard for me to go through Swain anyway, theyre in New York so shipping all my stuff transborder AND all the way there would be expensive. I was just going to stay local and get the manifold and crossover done inside and out with 2k+ degree F stuff. Ive read Tony Gs post a while back I think so ill dig it up again and reread that thread.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:41 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I didn't think about shipping. They claim that their true ceramic coating vs. the competition's paint is superior. I am not an engineer or chemist so I can't vouch for their science, but they are quite confident that their offering is superior.

I think ECUDooberhead had some trouble with internal coatings chipping off. You might want to think twice about having that done any pieces upstrem of the turbo as they could cause some issues.

You might just these products:

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/14003/14003.html - header blanket traps heat without the problems associated with traditional thermal wrap ~$75

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/15001/15001.html - turbo kit - ~$90

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/11600/11600.html - put this on the x-over pipe hear the oil pan ~$???

Max
Old 01-20-2005, 06:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to respond with some lame assed//"I heard from so and so..." but instead, why don't you kick this up to one of the experts like FAST951. He doesn't put together those really hot turbos w/out a bunch of REAL knowledge. Just PM him, or email. He'll repond whether you're a customer or not. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I won't use anyone but Swain, FWIW, and inside and outside, with careful test fit at reassembly.

Sam
Old 01-21-2005, 12:01 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my down-pipe and the cross-over wrapped and very happy. WIth the car idling after a hard run and if i place my hand on those exhaust parts, they are warm, not hot and noticed an increase in spool.........

I ordered the thermo blaket (as TonyG recommended) from Summit Racing in October, but still hasen't arrived (they are re-sending the order anyway) so can't really comment on that one really
Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is mine... DEI wrapped pipes and ceramic coated... just took this pic
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2005, 03:25 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

How does ceramic wrapping parts of the turbo enhance your performance?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Highboost,

Its not a ceramic wrap, ceramic is a coating. The fabric on the pipes is the DEI exhaust wrap. Its designed to keep the temperature in the pipes and out of the engine bay... bonuses are a hotter exhaust temps and reduced under hood temps.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:38 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Thanks alot man, sorry everybody for asking newbie questions ha
Old 01-21-2005, 03:40 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I am still a newbie too so dont worry, there are just degees of new. Te history has a lot of valuable info, so throw some keys words in and you may find your answer or may find you need a more specific question answered. Word.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
I won't use anyone but Swain, FWIW, and inside and outside, with careful test fit at reassembly.

Sam
Swain will do inside and out coatings on items that are not upstream of the turbo or on a N/A car. They don't do inside coatings on longer exhaust pipe because they can't prep the surface well enough. Here a quote from Richard Tucker at Swain:

Originally Posted by Richard Tucker
The people who apply coatings inside of turbo pipes apply the paint based coatings like Jet Hot, HPC, etc. They can get away with coating the inside of turbo parts because when the coating comes loose, it is so thin that it is not likely to damage the turbo. Nobody can get inside an exhaust tube (unless it is very short) and get the entire length blasted well enough to get a good and permanent bond with the base metal.
There is a fair amount of debate about thermal wrap like what NZ uses. Most agree that it is effective, but there are some significant downsides to its use. It is known to trap moisture which can eat away at the piping. It is reported to cause cracking in the pipe because it restricts the metal's expansion. Over time it will also deteriorate due to exposure and it can be a pain to remove or reapply.

My research indicates that ceramic coating is the best option, but it is probably the most expensive. The second best option is the thermal blanket. It allows you to loosely wrap the pipe, it isn't a cloth which absorbs moisture and you can remove and reapply easily. It is also much cheaper than coatings and you may be able to apply without removing the components.

Max

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating the turbo